Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Base Uncapped?

This is a discussion on Sky Base Uncapped? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm on base connection, with speed's capped to 2084 / 256 kbps. I achieve regularly 1745 / 212 kbps. (exchange ...

skydance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: F@ST2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Sky Base Uncapped?

I'm on base connection, with speed's capped to 2084 / 256 kbps. I achieve regularly 1745 / 212 kbps. (exchange distance 2.7km).

Someone I know similarly has 'Base' and his stats are; 7036 / 670 and he gets actual connection speeds of 6800 / 540, he is definitely not paying the extra fiver a month.

My exchange is LLU / SkyEasynet enabled, his has neither, but he is less than half a kilometer from it?

Are Sky unable to 'govern' connection speeds on non-unbundled exchanges?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Base Uncapped?

Either you or your friend is mistaken.

If his exchange isn't LLU and he's a Sky customer then he's not on Base, he's on Connect. To have this he'd be paying 17 (or 5 if the exchange is due to go LLU shortly).

However, he'd not have the stats you report as Connect has an upstream sync of 448kbps which means (if the stats are correct) then he has to be LLU with a Sky Max profile.

Thanks

Thanks Saturday,

He only has (he says) one payment out to Sky a month, which is his TV package direct debit, which apparently has remained unaltered since he switched to Sky broadband a year ago. 'Samknows' reveals his exchange as non LLU. I'll get him to run another speedtest to check the downstream and also get full router stats.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If correct, it's his upstream which shows he is on Sky Max. Samknows is sometimes incorrect or he may not be on the exchange you think he is.

With regard to his payment, there have been cases in the past where the BB part hasn't been set up properly and so isn't charged. However, I think you should advise your friend that there's a good chance this will be discovered at some time in the future. If (more likely when) this happens Sky will want their money. If he doesn't pay they'll quickly cut off his BB and his TV, then put their debt collection agency onto him. They don't mess around.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think Sat is correct and he is not on the exchange he thinks he is. You are not always connected to the nearest exchange. He does not appear to be on Connect as his upload is too high. He should get it sorted as it could end up costing him a lot of money.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think Sat is correct and he is not on the exchange he thinks he is. You are not always connected to the nearest exchange. He does not appear to be on Connect as his upload is too high. He should get it sorted as it could end up costing him a lot of money.
      My friend only asked for Base, (a year ago now), as he's a low rate user, virtually email only, and knew nothing about stats etc, till I had a look, as his speeds were so good compared to mine.

As he requested 'Base', he should be 'charge-free', even if it results in a cap, to correct an initial error. Retro charging, would I feel be a difficult position to justify, as he never requested a better package and the mistake is Sky's?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yep, I can't see how they could charge him arrears if he is on Base - but, the problem could be that he's not on an "uncapped" Base package but on an "uncharged" Max.

My advice to him would be to call Sky and check he's really Base.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

This is similar to when BT "forgot" to charge for calls to some customers for 6 months and then they asked for all in 1 go.

When people queried this on BBC2's Working Lunch programme they were told that companies have 6 years to chase you up for mistakes they make if that involes the company being out of pocket.

So Sky still have 5 years to notice and to charge for the max product even though it was a fault that Sky has made. don't you just love corporate law?
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When he first started with Sky Broadband, he would receive a letter and in the letter would be the package that he signed up for. If it says there that he is on the free Base package, he should be OK as far as back charges are concerned. I think what has happened is that whoever set the line up has made a mistake and connected it incorrectly. This would be surprising as Sky employees seldom make mistakes

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.