Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

My stats after 1 day on Max...what do peeps think?

This is a discussion on My stats after 1 day on Max...what do peeps think? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme I think you will have to phone and try to get them to put you on ...

cockneycomic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thamesmead
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD & Sky+
      Thanks

Re: My stats after 1 day on Max...what do peeps think?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think you will have to phone and try to get them to put you on ADSL2+ to see if it will kick some life into your line. Don't mention your slow download speed or they will take you off at a tangent, just tell them what your attenuation and noise margin are and tell them you know your line can support more. This will be meaningless to Tier 1, so you will have to get them to pass you to the Customer Support Team. I believe about 9 pm is the best time to call.

I'll contact them again...will get back to you.

Thanks for everything.

2. Advertisement
      Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Another thing to check on your PC is the Task Manager - one of the tabs shows some purdy li'l graphs of your CPU utilisation and also one for your Network utilisation. It might be worthwhile taking a look there. Also, in the list of running tasks and apps you could sort them by CPU usage and see if there is anything hogging your CPU. You could do well to go visit What Process? Process Library - Identify & Manage Windows Processes and check that you don't have anything on your XP that you shouldn't have.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Netgeezer View Post
      Another thing to check on your PC is the Task Manager - one of the tabs shows some purdy li'l graphs of your CPU utilisation and also one for your Network utilisation. It might be worthwhile taking a look there. Also, in the list of running tasks and apps you could sort them by CPU usage and see if there is anything hogging your CPU. You could do well to go visit What Process? Process Library - Identify & Manage Windows Processes and check that you don't have anything on your XP that you shouldn't have.

Yep, thanks...but already did that at the very beginning.

Things that shouldn't be there wasn't found

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

After all of this it is going to turn out to be something really silly and simple!
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Netgeezer View Post
      After all of this it is going to turn out to be something really silly and simple!

LOL, nothing is ever silly and simple when it comes to getting the right speed on Broadband

Thanks

I think you will have to phone and try to get them to put you on ADSL2+ to see if it will kick some life into your line. Don't mention your slow download speed or they will take you off at a tangent, just tell them what your attenuation and noise margin are and tell them you know your line can support more. This will be meaningless to Tier 1, so you will have to get them to pass you to the Customer Support Team. I believe about 9 pm is the best time to call.

Got this reply @ 2am in my inbox, which I read this morning:-

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

We have tried to run tests on your line however we notice that your router is either switched of or unplugged can you please connect it back up again and leave it switched on just until we receive our results.

Replied to that saying it's now on and running.

Will update peeps, as it comes in

Thanks

Got reply from SKY:-

Dear Mr XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

I have spoken to our customer solutions team on your behalf, they have actioned your request and changed you over to ADSL2+ and the speed being sent down your line at present is 9922kbps.

They have advised that your connection may become unstable with these settings, please monitor your connection and if you experience any difficuties within the next 72 hours please contact us with the reference ********.

My new router stats are:-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9941 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.5 db 12.4 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 16.0 db

My attenuation has shot up! Is that the norm?

Noise Margin has dropped aswell.

What do the public think?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The rise in attenuation is quite normal, there is usually an increase of about 3 dbs. The low NM that you now have shows that your line is getting as much as it can handle. Under better circumstances your attenuation should give about 15-16mbps, this means that you have noise on your line which prevents a better connection.

I am sorry if I am repeating things but the thread is getting rather long to check back easily. Can you confirm that you are plugged in to the Test socket using only a filter, no extension?

If you do not have a NTE5 Master socket, plug into the master, again with just a filter no extensions and unplug everything else you have plugged into the phone line. Have a look inside and if there is a wire or wires connected to terminal 3, pull them out. This is the ring wire which is not required and can cause ADSL problems.

The change you are looking for is in the NM, your sync will not rise as it is capped. If there is a substantial difference, the fault is in your internal wiring.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

The rise in attenuation is quite normal, there is usually an increase of about 3 dbs. The low NM that you now have shows that your line is getting as much as it can handle. Under better circumstances your attenuation should give about 15-16mbps, this means that you have noise on your line which prevents a better connection.

I am sorry if I am repeating things but the thread is getting rather long to check back easily. Can you confirm that you are plugged in to the Test socket using only a filter, no extension?

If you do not have a NTE5 Master socket, plug into the master, again with just a filter no extensions and unplug everything else you have plugged into the phone line. Have a look inside and if there is a wire or wires connected to terminal 3, pull them out. This is the ring wire which is not required and can cause ADSL problems.

The change you are looking for is in the NM, your sync will not rise as it is capped. If there is a substantial difference, the fault is in your internal wiring.

LOL, that's ok.

Yep, plugged into the test socket with no extension and got my new stats

I will give you a full run down of my Master Socket and wiring:-

Unscrewed the bottom half to access the Test Socket. Noticed that where there would normally be wiring in the little terminals...there was none at all.

So I unscrewed the top half, which of course, houses the connection from which then leads away and out of your home.

They is only two wires connected to the main terminal......blue/white and white/blue.

Does that sound right to you at all?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi.
      Yes that could be right, are there any other junction boxes between the master and where the line enters? If not do you live in a block of flats? (I know that sounds like a daft question, but the colours would be right if the cable comes from a central point in the block.)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast