Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

My stats after 1 day on Max...what do peeps think?

This is a discussion on My stats after 1 day on Max...what do peeps think? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme I think you are going to have to wait for a reply to your email or ...

cockneycomic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thamesmead
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD & Sky+
      Thanks

Re: My stats after 1 day on Max...what do peeps think?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think you are going to have to wait for a reply to your email or phone them.

Got a reply this morning:-

Dear Mr XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

I can confirm that you are 3419 meters away from your local exchange. The results show you are 721 meters away from the exchange as the crow flies but the length of your phone line is 3419 meters.

Your line is only capable of the speeds you are receiving and we are therefore unable to raise your speed any higher than what you are getting already. This is due to the quality of your broadband line and the distance from the exchange.

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

What you think?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't know what to think except that someone is telling 'porkies' As I understand it, a rough idea of the actual line length can be got by dividing the attenuation by 13.81, even adding the 3 db rise in attenuation usually experienced when upgrading to ADSL2+, you distance still works out less than 2K. More than twice the straight line distance is quite common, but 4.75 times I find hard to believe. If this were true your attenuation would be much higher.

All I can suggest is that you phone up and try to get them to actually test your line, when you are on the phone. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members would like to say what they think about your situation.

I am wondering if you may have aluminium in part of your line, but your low attenuation would seem to rule this out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Clearly Sky have just taken the info from the BT data base and sent this to you. Isitme is right, you need to get back to sky on this. I think that the effects of alumimum lines have been a bit over-played, but there is no doubt that they have a higher attenuation (my line is alumimum all the way and it has cost me about 2db I guess) However, this would not account for the figuers in the e-mail.

Thanks

I don't know what to think except that someone is telling 'porkies' As I understand it, a rough idea of the actual line length can be got by dividing the attenuation by 13.81, even adding the 3 db rise in attenuation usually experienced when upgrading to ADSL2+, you distance still works out less than 2K. More than twice the straight line distance is quite common, but 4.75 times I find hard to believe. If this were true your attenuation would be much higher.

All I can suggest is that you phone up and try to get them to actually test your line, when you are on the phone. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members would like to say what they think about your situation.

I am wondering if you may have aluminium in part of your line, but your low attenuation would seem to rule this out.

Have taken some of your reply, and put it in another e-mail to SKY.

No names used apart from my own, of course

LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Clearly Sky have just taken the info from the BT data base and sent this to you. Isitme is right, you need to get back to sky on this. I think that the effects of alumimum lines have been a bit over-played, but there is no doubt that they have a higher attenuation (my line is alumimum all the way and it has cost me about 2db I guess) However, this would not account for the figuers in the e-mail.

Same again, used some of your reply in my e-mail to SKY.

All my own wording to hide the original author

Thanks

Got reply from the second e-mail I sent:-

Dear Mr Comic, (can't believe they used my e-mail address name!!)

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.
      Before I can escalate your issue I would be grateful if you could confirm you have done the following.

If you have more than one computer connected simultaneously to your Sky Broadband Box then your connection may appear slow due to your bandwidth being shared between multiple computers.

If only 1 computer is connected your connecting may be slowed by the information saved on your computer that is not essential. To remove this information:-
      Open up a new browser window
      Click on Tools and select Internet Options
      Click on the Delete Cookies button and click Ok to delete all cookies.
      Click on Delete Files , place a tick in the box to delete all offline content, then click Ok
      Click on the Clear History button then click Yes

If this is not the case, then when your speed appears to drop, please use the following steps to determine what speed you are connecting at :-

Open up a new browser window
      Type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar
      The username is admin
      The password is sky
      Click on the Show Statistics button at the bottom of the page
      In the new pop-up screen it will show you your current connection speed. It will be labelled ‘downstream speed'.
      This speed is displayed in kbps. (e.g. 7648kbps approximately equates to 7.6Mbps)

This will show you what speed you are connected at. If you feel this speed is a lot higher than you believe your connection to be running at, then I would recommend you do the following:

Click on the Start button
      Then select Run
      Now type cmd and click ok
      In the new box that appears please type netstat after the C;> prompt, then press Enter
      Now count how many lines of information appear which start with TCP
      If this is more than ten then I would advise you run some anti-virus and Spyware checks on your system, as you may have Spyware programs inadvertently installed on your PC.

If you need further help or information, please reply to this email or contact us on 08 442 41 05 15.

Is this taken from the SKY manual, because it sure sounds like it....and I think would make do difference to my connection speed.

The one about the netstat test is a new one on me

So...Thoughts? Feelings?

Thanks

Straight from the script! The Netstat suggestion is a legitimate one. Doing this will check if you have connections open you do not know about, which may be malware using your connection. Try it and see what it reports.

Edit - If you run the command netstat -b it will tell you the applications making the connection.
      Last edited by Isitme; 15-04-08 at 02:17 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Straight from the script! The Netstat suggestion is a legitimate one. Doing this will check if you have connections open you do not know about, which may be malware using your connection. Try it and see what it reports.

Edit - If you run the command netstat -b it will tell you the applications making the connection.

Thanks, will do.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Isitme;142470]Straight from the script! The Netstat suggestion is a legitimate one. Doing this will check if you have connections open you do not know about, which may be malware using your connection. Try it and see what it reports.

Edit - If you run the command netstat -b it will tell you the applications making the connection.[/QUOT

According to netstat...nothing suspicious or unauthorised is connecting to the internet from my PC.

Thanks

I think you will have to phone and try to get them to put you on ADSL2+ to see if it will kick some life into your line. Don't mention your slow download speed or they will take you off at a tangent, just tell them what your attenuation and noise margin are and tell them you know your line can support more. This will be meaningless to Tier 1, so you will have to get them to pass you to the Customer Support Team. I believe about 9 pm is the best time to call.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast