Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

My stats after 1 day on Max...what do peeps think?

This is a discussion on My stats after 1 day on Max...what do peeps think? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; 100Mbps/FDX cannot be taken as a given. There is auto-negotiation when the PC is plugged into the router - and ...

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: My stats after 1 day on Max...what do peeps think?

100Mbps/FDX cannot be taken as a given. There is auto-negotiation when the PC is plugged into the router - and the basis of that results in the configuration of the ethernet port for that connection session. The reason for asking is that auto-negotiation is not a precise science and sometimes weird config clashes can occur. If in doubt I normally "nail up" the configuration of the port in the properties. If you set the PC to 100Mbps/FDX the router device will normally comply, but not always the other way round.

The Netgear should be negotiating for 100/FDX, it is worth checking that the PC has set itself accordingly.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I know, and if the OP is running Vista, and has not altered the settings, it will be fine, I have tried fixed settings and auto.

cockneycomic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thamesmead
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD & Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Netgeezer View Post
      That is the first problem that has to be sorted out, richone54 is 100% right. Otherwise the chances are that you get put on ADSL2+ and still do not get better than 4meg. There is no reason to suppose that ~16Meg ADSL2+ will give you any better than the 4meg you're currently getting from your router which is in any event sync'ing up with the Sky DSLAM at 8Meg. Something is seriously amiss betwixt PC and Router......

Question - do you know enough about configuring your network port to ensure that you are sync'ing between PC and Router at 100Mbps full duplex? It may be that you are only connecting at 10Mbps half duplex - still much faster than 4meg but could be a contributory factor. It is in the network port properties in XP - I don't know for sure where Vista has tucked it away, I avoid Vista like the plague .... in fact .... it is a plague!

Tell me more about configuring this network port to make sure I am 100Mbps full duplex, then i'll give it a try.

I use XP.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, try this.

Start | My Network Places | View Network Connections

You are looking for the "Local Area Connection" that is subtitled "Connected, Firewalled"

Right click | Properties

You should be on the General tab, look for "Connect using:" and to the right should be button labelled "Configure", press it once, a new panel appears.

Click on the "Advanced" tab, a new panel appears with two boxes labelled (left) "Property:" and (right) "Value" - the Value is a pull-down menu of possible items.

On the Property box find "Link Speed/Duplex Mode" - the "Value" box should default to "Auto Mode". If it has then try changing the setting to "100 Full Mode", click OK to all the panels that appear until you are back at the Network Connections panel. Unplug the ethernet cable from the PC, wait a few moments and then plug it back in. Try a speed test and see if that works any better. If it does, leave it be. If it does not then repeat the above and set it back to "Auto Mode" - that wasn't the problem.

Generally, Auto Mode should work - but occasionally and with some routers or manufacturers it does not work quite so well or reliably.

NB: If when you get to the config and it was set to anything other than "Auto Mode" then put it to that and try the connection. Sometimes I have found that the machine has been previously worked on and someone has set 10 Half Mode or even 100 Half Mode, none of which are optimal for a modern router.

Just another layer to try.

PS - Do not change any other settings, no matter how tantalizing they may appear
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I think if you look under "optimise your computer" in the tutorials, there is a nice write-up with pictures for XP.

Thanks

Ok, try this.

You are looking for the "Local Area Connection" that is subtitled "Connected, Firewalled"

Right click | Properties

You should be on the General tab, look for "Connect using:" and to the right should be button labelled "Configure", press it once, a new panel appears.

Click on the "Advanced" tab, a new panel appears with two boxes labelled (left) "Property:" and (right) "Value" - the Value is a pull-down menu of possible items.

On the Property box find "Link Speed/Duplex Mode" - the "Value" box should default to "Auto Mode". If it has then try changing the setting to "100 Full Mode", click OK to all the panels that appear until you are back at the Network Connections panel. Unplug the ethernet cable from the PC, wait a few moments and then plug it back in. Try a speed test and see if that works any better. If it does, leave it be. If it does not then repeat the above and set it back to "Auto Mode" - that wasn't the problem.

Generally, Auto Mode should work - but occasionally and with some routers or manufacturers it does not work quite so well or reliably.

NB: If when you get to the config and it was set to anything other than "Auto Mode" then put it to that and try the connection. Sometimes I have found that the machine has been previously worked on and someone has set 10 Half Mode or even 100 Half Mode, none of which are optimal for a modern router.

PS - Do not change any other settings, no matter how tantalizing they may appear

Sorry, silly question...but will this work for wirless connection too?

I looked for "Link Speed/Duplex Mode" on it..which was not there.

Looked on my wired network card properties too....not there either

Any ideas?

EDIT:- Scrub that, found it under MEDIA TYPE on my wired connection card....but still nothing on the wireless properties.
      Last edited by cockneycomic; 12-04-08 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Alittle bit of research!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just to confirm I have read every word of your posts but do not agree that your PC is set up properly, no matter how perfect you think it is.

I do not agree either that 'full duplex 100 mbps' has the least thing to do with it. Even if your NIC can only run at 10mbps it should still be able to handle the 7000kbps that you should be getting at present. When you are eventually put on ADSL2+ it would, but not at present. I would strongly advise that you forget about wireless until you attain the speed you should be getting over a wired connection. There are so many variables that effect wireless speed, that it is impossible to set your PC up properly using a wireless connection.

No matter that you have done it before, I would still advise running TCPOptimiser again. Use 8000 as your start figure and ensure your MTU is set to 1500 for the time being, as this seems to work best with Sky. It can be run again when your connection speed is raised.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ok, try this.

Right click | Properties

Right, made the change on my wired card and these are the speed test results using the skyuser test:-

Download 4296Kbps
      Upload 530Kbps

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Just to confirm I have read every word of your posts but do not agree that your PC is set up properly, no matter how perfect you think it is.

I do not agree either that 'full duplex 100 mbps' has the least thing to do with it. Even if your NIC can only run at 10mbps it should still be able to handle the 7000kbps that you should be getting at present. When you are eventually put on ADSL2+ it would, but not at present. I would strongly advise that you forget about wireless until you attain the speed you should be getting over a wired connection. There are so many variables that effect wireless speed, that it is impossible to set your PC up properly using a wireless connection.

No matter that you have done it before, I would still advise running TCPOptimiser again. Use 8000 as your start figure and ensure your MTU is set to 1500 for the time being, as this seems to work best with Sky. It can be run again when your connection speed is raised.

I appreciate all the help

Will give it a try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post

OK, did as you said and got these results using skyuser speed tester using my wired connection:-

Download 4544Kbps
      Upload 507Kbps

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast