Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

strange SKY connection

This is a discussion on strange SKY connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'll try and keep it short..Dell Dimension 5000, 3.4mhz pentium 4,XP SP2, 3gig memory, 750 gig of disk space on ...

Awest3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01527
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

strange SKY connection

I'll try and keep it short..Dell Dimension 5000, 3.4mhz pentium 4,XP SP2, 3gig memory, 750 gig of disk space on 2 drives. Use AVG, CC, MS firewall, registry mechanic and spybot.
      Got a new Sky connection (using their router with WAP)
      all ok on day 1, day 2 can't get on, talk to Sky who offer suggestions but all tests appear ok, look at my network connections and find my Broadcom internal NIC disabled, try to enable but no joy. Decide to do a restore to the day before I got Sky...all up and working and I decide that I must have done something to an IRQ or similar..works for a week no problem. Then today I cant get on for quite a while in the morning, can't see anything obvious and the internal nic seems to be ok...then all springs to life...

I decide to leave the router switched on to see if its starting up it does not like (I'm suggesting its the router at this point but as we will see I don't think it can be).
      This pm came home turned on the PC and it can't connect....internal NIC card is disabled again..try to enable no joy even using the broadcom suite (by the way the code it shows says 22 which seems to suggest that either a user or windows has disabled the card due to an IRQ conflict).

So I pull out my laptop and it can get onto the internet no problem through the wireless link. So it seems it cant be the sky connection or router.

I try my desktop again and its working (I'm writing this on it) ...the internal/onboard NIC is working ok..

The first time it showed as disabled I tried to fit an external NIC but the installation kept failing and would not install.....(worth saying here that the machine does not have a spare PCI slot so I have to remove the old dialup modem card to fit in an external NIC).

Any suggestions welcomed any additional info please ask...I can't imagine that my onboard NIC card has decided to become dodgy at the same time as I switch IPS's (Speed on Sky is 4 times what I got with Pipex and a third of the price...no good if I can't use it though).

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: strange SKY connection

Try going to Services and disable Wireless Zero Configuration, then try using the Broadcom suite.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

thanks isitme, I'll try that...

Thanks

right I've done that, I'll try it next time I get the problem. Thing is I lost the connection yesterday pm...lights on router going from green to orange then back to green again but no connection. I ran the Sky test on the router and it said 'no internet connection detected', even though the router stats said I was connected at 3.5. The lin noise ratio was at 2db at times and then would switch to some fantastically high number when the line dropped out again. This morning I had all green lights , router stats again saying no connection although status said I was connected...but I could not get on..then at 08.10 everything burst into life...super speed...noise ratio at 7-8...not sure what to do next..?

Al

Thanks

It may be worthwhile having a look at the Cable and Faceplate section to see if you can improve your internal wiring. The high speed of your connection now puts a lot more strain on the line than with your previous ISP. Any faults in your internal wiring are amplified.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

isitme......Thanks for this, although I have to say that since my last post everything is ok...no problems with the NIC, IRQ's or router lights...mind you I have left the router switched on since then, 70 hours or so of uptime.... getting 3.4meg now rather than 3.8 at the start....do I assume from this that after 10 days or so they look at the line stats and then cap it at a speed which stops any drop outs etc....I'm very happy if this is the case..its still 4 times faster than I was getting at pipex.

so all in all at this time it seems ok...I will come back if the problems re-occur..Thanks

Al

Thanks

Your line 'trains' itself to the best stable speed it can negotiate with the exchange. It is only in certain circumstances that your line will be capped.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

well all seems ok...been up for some 300 hours with no problem whatsoever.

Thanks for the help