Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Next step to improve my connection?

This is a discussion on Next step to improve my connection? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all, I've been on Sky Max a few months now, but have only recently found this forum and thought ...

hbdgaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Next step to improve my connection?

Hello all,

I've been on Sky Max a few months now, but have only recently found this forum and thought about trying to get the most out of my connection.

Generally, I connect at 6-7000k and manage speeds of 100kb/s up to 900bk/s when downloading (depending on the server). I've never achieved more than 900kb/s on any of the computers on my network, and when downloading that fast it really does feel like the connection is totally swamped (games unplayable, websites taking far longer than usual to look up, etc. etc.). I can't post any detailed specs on my connection, my router doesn't have any . All I know is I am quite a way from my exchange. Even so, with my connection speed, should I be expecting a better "real" download speed? I'd post a speed test, but I'm at uni at the mo (33mb down/44mb up, beat that!).

So far I've improved my connection by moving the router downstairs to the master (?) telephone socket (1000kbps connection speed gain). Had my max delays lowered to 8 (now get reasonable pings). I've started using Vista Anti-Lag which stops the infuriating lag spikes Vista imposes on my wireless network every 60 seconds. And I've also used that TCP optimiser programme, which seems to have helped a little with transfer rates over the network.

So what's the next step? What else can I do to improve my overall internet speed/wireless speed? I can't use an ethernet connection, by the way

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Next step to improve my connection?

Apart from try other channels on the router there is little else you can do if you don't want to use ethernet.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Next step to improve my connection?

you could try homeplug adapters instead of wireless