Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

help dropped connections

This is a discussion on help dropped connections within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; 1st up hiya all and even though this is my 1st post i have read many a threads here since ...

TheBartman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

help dropped connections

1st up hiya all and even though this is my 1st post i have read many a threads here since signing up for sky broadband about 3 weeks ago.
      In the 3 weeks i have had my braodband with sky i have been getting disconectins ( maybee twice on the average evening )
      My speed is much faster with sky than my previous ISP , and with them i was also getting DC's
      So after i moved to sky and seen that i still was getting dc's i imediately removed ALL sockets from my house and rewired a new master socket into the house using cat5e cable between the bt in line and the master socket as sugested here in another thread.

below are my current stats , looking at them i am a bit lost , but have a feeling that my downstream 2db noise margin does not look good, at times this goes up to 9 max,, but most times is <6db

anything i can do to sort out my disconections

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: help dropped connections

Yes - Call sky support and ask them to cap your connection. I had stats almost identical to yours. My connection was stable during the day but in the evening peak time the noise margin dropped away to zero and then the connection dropped out. By capping the downstream speed the noise margin never goes below 3-4db -I believe 7db used to be the practical minimum. At the same time CST were able to improve my Max delays which reduced latency so even though my bandwidth never goes above the cap at 4096 kbps the connection feels faster.

Edit - If your profile is correct and you have the old White router, I believe there is a way of capping the connection speed yourself. You need to telnet into the router ad execute some commands - Search this forum for the instructions. I think it was one of James69's posts.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 10-04-08 at 01:37 AM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ratcliffes View Post

Edit - If your profile is correct and you have the old White router, I believe there is a way of capping the connection speed yourself. You need to telnet into the router ad execute some commands - Search this forum for the instructions. I think it was one of James69's posts.
      My router is black and about 3-4 weeks old i recon.
      What sort of speeds do you recon they might cap it at ?

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The quick answer to your question is that it will depend on how far you are from your exchange and how bad the situation is now. I requested a particular cap 4096kbps which I knew I would be happy with but which may not have improved the situation. I was prepared to keep requesting a marginally lower cap (within reason) until the disconnections stopped. I didn't have to go very far thankfully (down from an unstable ~4300-4500 to a solid 4096).

If you have the black router I don't think you have any option but to request a permanent cap from sky. If you are prepared to use a third party router, I think there are ways of doing it in the router's interface as you can with the old White v1 Sky router. No doubt other members will respond on this point.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks ratclifes for the info.
      Does anyone else here know if a fix is possible,,apart from downgrading my speed ?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Depends on how bad the line isue is. If you get your internal connections as good as they can be then the speed cap may be just a case of half a meg or so just to stabilise the line. How much better is your speed with sky as you may not get much of an improvement on that if the line is the main cause of the issue.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Before you ask Sky to cap you try booting your router at about 7 pm. It should negotiate the best speed it can with a noise margin of around 7 dbs. This may reduce your speed slightly, but if you don't reboot your router it should maintain the connection at that speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Before you ask Sky to cap you try booting your router at about 7 pm. It should negotiate the best speed it can with a noise margin of around 7 dbs. This may reduce your speed slightly, but if you don't reboot your router it should maintain the connection at that speed.
      My connection has currently been up for 21hrs ( 24 hrs 36mins since router reboot ), with the noise margin @7-9db atm.
      It is usually about 8.30 gmt when i get a DC.
      yet i bet if i do not restart my router when i get a DC and just let it reconnect , come tommorow morning my noise margin will pror be 2-4db

Still speed wise am well happy as getting about 460 kbs ,, where as with my last isp was getting about 240 kbs
      But now i am getting 460 kbs i would HATE to have to go down to 240 kbs again to get a stable connection.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Looking at your first post, if these stats were taken near the time of your post, it would appear that the noisiest time on your line could be about 11.00pm. Have a look at your stats then and if they are below 6-7dbs, reboot your router and keep rebooting it until your NM rises to 6-7dbs. This might take 2 or 3 boots.

Your connection speed of 4384 should give you a download speed of around 3500 kbps, if you are only getting a few hundred then something is wrong with your PC set up. Try running TCPOptimiser it will repair any incorrect settings.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.