Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using my phone knocks out my broadband

This is a discussion on Using my phone knocks out my broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Why is it that using my phone (incoming or outgoing) knocks out my broadband? I spoke to sky who are ...

Vicxy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using my phone knocks out my broadband

Why is it that using my phone (incoming or outgoing) knocks out my broadband? I spoke to sky who are very unhelpful and told me to get a REN adapter for the line which I did and so now they just saying there's nothing they can do without charging me a fortune. i already had to hav BT out to check the line and get MCD filters and am getting rather annoyed about this please help!

2. Advertisement
      hbdgaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Using my phone knocks out my broadband

There are a couple of possible causes I've encountered for this.

For cordless phones:
      Make sure the base station isn't near the router. communication between the phone and base station during a call can interfere with the network, possibly causing either network disconnection and/or internet disconnection.

For all phones:
      Make sure you have a microfilter correctly installed between the phone and the phone line. If there's no microfilter (or a crap/faulty microfilter) the phone will interfere with the connection, which can cause lower connection speeds, total failure to sync and disconnections by incoming calls.

One thing you could try, to make sure it's a problem at your end and to narrow down the responsible phone (if you have more than one), is to disconnect all your phones, connect to the internet and then ring your land line from your mobile. If it causes a disconnection without any phones plugged in, it's not the phones causing the problem. If it doesn't, plug one phone back in and repeat.
      Last edited by hbdgaz; 08-04-08 at 01:46 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I notice from your profile that you are not using the Sky router. Why is it you are using your own?

I would recommend you try the above, plus remove the face of the Master socket and plug a filter into the TEST socket, and check it with the router and one corded phone. If the problem persists, it is in your external line and out with yours or Sky's control. It means, no matter what BTO say, that there is a fault in your line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am using my own router as I had the 1st gen sky router and it was busted and they kept saying they'd send me a new one but never did and I needed one with a better range as have a big house. I am using cordless phones and the base is plugged into the same socket as the router however there is nowhere else I can move the phone to.

Thanks

Did you try the Test socket?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It still did the same thing in the test socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

and now i've set off the alarm

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vicxy View Post
      It still did the same thing in the test socket
      I had a similar problem a while back (although I was with a different ISP at the time but that doesn't really matter) whenever the phone was in use either in or out the SNR would drop until I was disconnected. I could connect again during the phone call but once the phone was hung up it would happen again.

After trying everything I could, I managed to get BT out twice, the problem was easy to replicate and did it even when the engineers test equipment was connected.

Luckily, the second engineer who came out was very good and after showing him someone else’s report of the same thing he managed to track down the same fault with my line.

This turned out to be a poor connection in the street cabinet, when a call came in or out the extra signal down the line would stress it (just break the connection enough to cause a drop in SNR), just ringing the phone would sometimes cause it.

He had not seen this before but said in theory it could happen anywhere in the line that there was a joint and that another engineer had probably caused it when working in the cabinet. He also said that it could have been a poor connection in the telegraph pole junction box.

Hope this helps, I have not had any problems since and I am getting the full 16Mb on max.

Smithy

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks I'll try and get hold of BT as I need more lines put in anyway

Thanks

and now i've set off the alarm
      If you have an alarm connected to the phone line, this can cause problems. I am not sure if it would apply to you but Googling for 'ADSL alarms problems' will give you an idea. In some cases alarms need special filters to operate with ADSL.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast