Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Not Sure where my problem is ?

This is a discussion on Not Sure where my problem is ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I am just trying to get to grips with a problem i've been having with my broadband connection over ...

Fantomas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01706
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not Sure where my problem is ?

Hi

I am just trying to get to grips with a problem i've been having with my broadband connection over the last 2 months or so.

I am getting fairly frequent intermittant disconnections from the internet coupled with very slow performance. When I can connect the performance is OK.

I have had a look at the router stats. and they average around
      Attenuation: 50db
      Noise Margin: Averaging around 17db (goes as high as 25 or as low as 10db but never seems to get below 6db).

Then all the actual numbers will just disappear indicating the connection has gone.

There is cracking noise on the line when I pick up the phone or make a call, and this appears to be the case when I plug into the test socket, however, when I dial the quiet line test that appears to be OK.

I haven't got any router stats. at present as I am at work.

I have noticed that the connection seems to get worse during windy weather, could this just be a factor or is that just coincidence.

Hopefully, I haven't come across too thick as I am new to broadband technology but have read through these excellent forums for a bit of advice.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Not Sure where my problem is ?

It sounds as if you have a bad connection somewhere on the line. You should report the crackling to BT as a voice fault if the problem persists in the test socket.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, Thanks for that, I think there is a BT fault but I wanted to be sure so that BT didn't charge me for te call out as I believe they will do if the fault is internal

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^
      That is why you must use the Test socket, to isolate your internal wiring.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Check with a known working phone on the test socket (wired phone if possible) and if there is still crackling on the line call BT and report the fault but do not mention in any way the BB on the line.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I am convinced there is a fault on the BT line as the problem only started occuring after some very stong winds. When I plugged a phone into the test socket last night I got some crackling but when I actually dialled the quiet line test that seemed OK !! I will have another go tonight and then it sounds like call to BT. Just one more question though, why shouldn't I mention the BB ? I am paying BT for the use of the line ??

Once again thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated. I am enjoying learning about all this so your help is really great.

Cheers

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

BT are only legally required to deliver a voice service. They are not interested in broadband and consider it a waste of their precious time fixing faults which may improve it. If you say anything about BB they are likely to tell you your line is OK without doing a thorough check. For BB faults they must be asked to check by Sky, the ISP, who they then charge through the nose.

Sorry Brian, but you know that is how it is.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi Isitme.
      BT are a very large group of companys. They don't need my help to defend themselves