Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

First week of sky and intermittent disconnection

This is a discussion on First week of sky and intermittent disconnection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ok 2 phone sockets, both with filters and i'm plugged into the main one, sky tv is not connected to ...

sorethumbs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01392
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: First week of sky and intermittent disconnection

ok 2 phone sockets, both with filters and i'm plugged into the main one, sky tv is not connected to a phone line (we unplugged it years ago)

Guess what i was trying to ascertain was...

regarding the 14 hours which was indicated within the router stats page - if i'd had a disconnection where the routers green light had gone out then flashed orange and eventually green again would this have set that figure back to 0 (zero)

Sorry to ask and appear a dimwit, i've been away from home and kids were complaining about internet disconnecting before i posted originally, if this 14 hours wlan / lan figure means no disconnection during this time (whether pc was in use or not) i'd tend to put it down to me having only had the bb a few days and guess its settled down.

I guess i could be trying to answer my own question by unplugging the thing and rebooting it to look at the stats that way, i'll do that when i return home at weekend

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The LAN port is always on, right from the moment you switch the router on, until you switch it off. So the LAN port uptime will always count upwards irrespective of whether your Internet connection is active or not. It'll only ever be reset to zero if you switch the router off and then on again. So you can treat that LAN port uptime effectively as indicating "how long the router has been switched on".

The WAN port is your connection to the Internet. That only starts counting upwards once the router has connected to the Internet. If for whatever reason, the Internet connection is lost, then the uptime will be reset to zero.

So basically, if your WAN port uptime is anything more than a couple of minutes less than the LAN port uptime, then you'll know that the connection to the Internet must have been lost at least once since you switched the router on.

sorethumbs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01392
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Thanks

cool i guess thats what i was trying to work out, so from these stats i can safely say

WAN PPPoA 17110 15084 0 17843 14317 00:10:11 --------- i been on my wireless pc
      LAN 100M/Full 212059 150638 0 4556 482 14:39:38 --------- router has been on
      WLAN 11M/54M 171238 154205 0 2822 1208 14:39:25 -------constant connection duration

so its would seem everything has settled down and looks ok and not suffered any probs for 14+ hours?

thanks for replies just wanted to know if i had a problem or not

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

WLAN is the wireless network, LAN is the connection back to the SKy server/ internet. Your connection is still dropping and you need to find out why.
      Post your router stats, try the connection onto the test socket if possible, if it still does it then you need to call sky BB tech support.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You still appear to be miss-understanding

WAN PPPoA 17110 15084 0 17843 14317 00:10:11 --------- i been on my wireless pc -
      No this is the total time you have been connected to the internet without a disconnection, nothing to do with wireless.

LAN 100M/Full 212059 150638 0 4556 482 14:39:38 --------- router has been on -
      Yes

WLAN 11M/54M 171238 154205 0 2822 1208 14:39:25 -------constant connection duration -
      This is the time that the wireless part of the router has been connected.

LAN is the connection back to the SKy server/ internet.
      No, this is the connection between the router and PCs, nothing to do with Sky servers. The WAN is the Sky connection.
      Last edited by Isitme; 11-04-08 at 12:48 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Awest3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01527
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi,

I switched over to Sky on the 4th..mid rather than max and have been having the same issues...still trying to sort...great speed but router keeps going into orange light and I lose the connection..

Al

wozzabi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01253
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I must admit i spent hours and hours looking through broadband suppliers offers and all there advantages and disadvantages and i decided to opt into the sky broadband max option, in hindsight i would of not done this the activation date was the 9th of this month. I have had constant disconnection and unable to connect plus download speeds that would put my 3g phone to shame slow is an understatement since wednesday evening its been stupid take today for instance i trried to connect on at 1700 no luck when on it was pig slow. I,ve just come off a thrid phone call to sky the first two they put the phone down on me, to get pushed from pillar to post to cancel my subscription, i eventually got through.

To have a conversation with a gentleman who at first said i cant cancel then he changed his mind when i mentioned the cooling off period when i asked for a date of which i no longer have sky broadband he said he didn't know only to mention something about recieving something in five days, plus ontop of this i asked for a mac code he said i cant get over the phone, only to change his mind and say i could or i can get it sent in the post i opted for the post to see if the cancelation had actually happened.

To be honest i'd like to bet i've not managed to cancel my subscription but i can only hope.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is a pity you have given in so easy now that you have found the forum. Do you want help or was your post simply a 'rant'?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

TBH I have lost all confidnece in the product i realise that it may have taken a little longer than three days for the service to "settle" and perhaps if i had the patience to wait that long it could well do that. i would but i'd then be out of the cooling off period, dont get me wrong the price and the speed of delivery and the speed of activation i was happy with especially the price, but the speed of the package really is un predictable i understand it may well be the line as my property is old but i had a new line installed off bt when i bought the property , plus their is emmense noise on the line when the router is on. The TV i recieve is great i'm happy with that. it may of just been a rant.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

this is the result i got on the speed test it's shocking
      not what i signed up for really .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast