Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

what happens after 40Gb on connect??

This is a discussion on what happens after 40Gb on connect?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi i have just moved house and cannot get sky max and only have the option of connect so that ...

danny565 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

what happens after 40Gb on connect??

Hi

i have just moved house and cannot get sky max and only have the option of connect so that is waht i am on currently. I have requested my MAC code to change ISP to VM because i dont want a limited usage package. Having read a few different forums VM my be unlimited but frown on file sharing (which i do loads of) so i am unsure what to do. how strick are sky on the 40Gb limit? what happens if i go over?

Cheers for any advice

danny

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: what happens after 40Gb on connect??

As far as I am aware no one has yet been penalised for exceeding their limits on any of the sky packages. However if people insist on dl the internet this may spoil it for the majority.

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

To be honest, sky do not seem to do anything regarding people going over their download limit at present. However as connect is a rebranded BT product it does suffer from traffic shaping much the same as with VM , at peak times you could see slow download speeds

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The connect package as said above is a rebadged BT product, in fact it is identical to the old BT option 3 and when I was on that the only cases I heard of any action being taken was when people when seriously over the limit ie 100+ gig for 2 month in a row and then BT still gave them the option to pay up or leave.

As Sky is selling you the package, I suppose BT will inform Sky who doesn't seem to be doing anything at the moment, but also don't forget that VM and BT traffic shape, VM also put large bandwith users (the top 10% of VM's customers) on throttled connections between 4pm and midnight set at 10% of their max speed.
      And to top it off VM has now apparently targeted p2p again with a "we catch you distributing pirated stuff we'll boot you off" policy. (There is a thread on these forums abut that)

So frankly being an old NTHell customer I couldn't see myself going back to them ever.

One thing to note, if you ring Sky up, if the exchange is about to be upgraded with Sky's equipment in the next 6 months they may offer you connect for 5, may be worthwile and seeing if that happens.

Otherwise I'd see if O2 is at your exchange although no ISP package is "unlimited" they all have a fair use policy and with bandwidth becoming more and more expensive I can see a hardening of attitudes across the board in the coming months.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

danny565 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for the reply guys, some good info there. My exchange is very small and is not due to be unbundled, but i think it may be worth paying the 7.50 and staying wth sky for the time being and see how i get on. I have been a sky BB customer for over 18 months now so i am not bound by contract and could change if the package doesnt suit me.

Cheers again

Danny

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have been a sky BB customer for over 18 months now so i am not bound by contract and could change if the package doesnt suit me.
      Moving house may mean you have to agree to another 12 month contract, so be careful what you do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.