Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Upstream Speed & snr

This is a discussion on Upstream Speed & snr within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You appear to have a line problem. the results of a test socket connection, as suggested, may shed more light ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Upstream Speed & snr

You appear to have a line problem. the results of a test socket connection, as suggested, may shed more light on what or where the problem lies. if not the wiring then your low upstream may be caused by a missing or faulty filter so try swapping with another one for the test )and check you have one fitted to every phone, digibox etc in any case).

2. Advertisement
      skydance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: F@ST2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Presumably, from the thread title, you mean upstream?

Actually, it's not clear if there is a default upstream noise margin db figure (unlike downstream which is 6.9db). That's because the way ADSL works, the upstream takes the first part of the available frequencies to fulfil the assigned upstream speed and then the router uses the remainder for the downstream. As these first frequencies are lower than for downstream the attenuation figure is higher and this together with the upstream sync being 768kbps at most, the upstream noise margin db is therefore usually pretty high.

Yours at 3db is very unusual as is your sync of 192kbps. You have a problem and it's not that your connection is capped. If you reboot does the upstream stay the same? How about if you connect via your test socket?
      Sky today sent me a DG834GT router, which I read on here was inferior to the black one I had been provided with originally - last week. All day I had no connection at all with the DG934G, just a flashing amber light. Despite using the DG834GT with my other ISP for 12 months, with very good service, it was with trepidation that I plugged it in.

Amazingly it fired up straight away and Upstream speed is now 256kbps and snr has risen to 13db (previously 192 and 3DB). Downstream stats are unchanged?

Also I am still able to access my email via my previous recovery vehicle of 'Apple Mail', from my old ISP, but of course cannot send. My domain name mail is also coming through onto 'Sky/Google' (having set up the account etc). Will this continue, or will my old ISP eventually not allow Sky to access to my domain name?

Many thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think the DG834GT router itself is inferior, the opposite in fact. The trouble was with the Firmware which did not perform as it should. Does yours have the new firmware?

Your old ISP will eventually cut you off, could be weeks or months depending on the iSP. If they do a PAYG dial up it is worth, opening one, this will keep you address open for as long as you want it. You will not be able to use BB to send, but you can receive and access web mail.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skydance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: F@ST2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Question Re: Upstream Speed & snr

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't think the DG834GT router itself is inferior, the opposite in fact. The trouble was with the Firmware which did not perform as it should. Does yours have the new firmware?

Your old ISP will eventually cut you off, could be weeks or months depending on the iSP. If they do a PAYG dial up it is worth, opening one, this will keep you address open for as long as you want it. You will not be able to use BB to send, but you can receive and access web mail.
      Thanks for this, V1.02.28 is the version I now have loaded, is this the latest, it seems to be working fine?

Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^
      That is the old firmware, which has worked well for many, including myself. It will soon be automatically updated, version 1.03.87, appears to be the new one and the utilities written for the old firmware for tweaking it will not work. You would be well advised to obtain your username and password from it using Mognuts before the update is applied.
      Last edited by Isitme; 09-04-08 at 11:44 AM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mike1976 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I joined sky last Friday and have had continually bad upload sync speeds (sometimes as low as 64kbps). I live just 1/4 mile from the exchange, the BT line to my house is only 2 yrs old and i've never had a problem with my previous ISP (usually 768kpbs) After reading these forums this seems to be a common theme, but most ppl suggesting its probably due to wiring which in this case it cant be (all thats changed is i'm now using the sky router). Any ideas?

Thanks

but most ppl suggesting its probably due to wiring which in this case it cant be (all thats changed is i'm now using the sky router)
      With your previous very low speed, your phone line is obviously a lot longer than you think or it has serious faults. Many have come on this forum making the same claim, that 'nothing has changed'. What has changed is that you have a significantly higher speed connection than you ever had. This puts extra strain on your line, so any faults you do have will be accentuated.

Remove the faceplate of your Master socket, if you have an NTE5, and plug into the Test socket, using only a filter. This will isolate all the other extensions and enable you to discover whether the fault is internal or external.

If you do not have an NTE5 master socket, all you can do is remove everything else that is plugged into the phone line and plug into the master using a filter.

I must emphasize that it must be the master socket, any other socket will not do.

This is a copy of a reply I have just made to another post, you problem is quite common

I should have said post your stats, before and after you try this.

TomD

Useful Utilites

mike1976 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry i probably didn't word my first post well. On my previous ISP i would sync at 8192 (or close to that) downstream and 768 upstream (the max i was allowed for the package i was on). Since sky took over my down load is usually 8000ish but sometimes goes down to 6000ish but my upstream varies between 64 and 300 ish (mostly at 64). The only thing i changed was replacing my old router with the sky one on switchover day.

I'm at work at the moment so will post stats when i get home.

PS I have the new black router (not sure of model).

Also maybe an OP might want to make this a new thread?

PPS: All the values shown are the sync speeds taken from my router stats page as best as i remember them.
      Last edited by mike1976; 16-04-08 at 02:53 PM. Reason: grammar

Thanks

My mistake I thought you were referring to download speed. According to your profile, you are on Mid, which has a maximum up load speed of 416kbps, if you want or need more than that you would have to upgrade to Max, which is 768/764kbps. Post your stats when you are able.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike1976 View Post
      (all thats changed is i'm now using the sky router). Any ideas?
      Is this a wireless connection? If so, could simply be that the wireless channel set on your router conflicts with some other wireless signal.

If you're wired then as Isitme says, we need to see your router stats.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast