Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Connection issues.. HELP

This is a discussion on Connection issues.. HELP within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It is noise on your line. You have a very long line back to the exchange and it is passing ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Connection issues.. HELP

It is noise on your line. You have a very long line back to the exchange and it is passing all sorts of things which can cause interference. Just about anything from Xmas lights to large generators can cause it. Unfortunately, the longer the line the more chance of interference. In addition there could be a slight fault in the line somewhere which varies with the wind or even passing cars/trains. Unless you have noise on your phone BT will do nothing about it. The best you can do is make sure your internal wiring is not causing problems by following the advice in the Cable and Faceplate part of the forum.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      tobys550 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Im having serious problems... Yes there is some noise on the line, I can hear it. Just phoned sky, dumb woman on the end was trying to tell me that according to my stats etc should get about a 256kps!!!!!!! she is jokin right!!! I have connected at nearly 2mb for the last 2 years, also my noise margin has gone from 7db or so to 19db!!!!! Im guessing 19 is way high!!!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've gone from 1856kbps for the last few years with 7db noise margin to 512kbps with a noise margin of nealry 20db over one afternoon!!!! what the hell is happening!!!! im getting extremely frustrated by all this.....

Thanks

It looks like your call to Sky has resulted in you being further capped. Either that or you were previously capped due to line conditions and the line has improved. If your noise margin has stabilised around 20 dbs, you should call Sky and try to get through to CST, who should be able to fix your problem.

On a separate issue, if you hear noise on your line, this is a case for BT or whoever you pay your rental to. It would be better getting this fixed before you phone Sky. If your rental is not with Sky, don't mention Broadband or they are likely to do nothing, just report noise on your voice calls. It is possible BTO are working on or near your line, which could cause wild fluctuations on your line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

When i go to sky broadband checker now it says this...."Testing your phone line shows it should support broadband speeds upto 512 Kb1. Please note: broadband speeds vary with location and line quality. "

When I signed up a few months back it was saying 2 1/2mb on the sky wesbsite.
      The bt checker is saying i should get speeds of 256k if im lucky!!!!!
      over the past few years, on checking the bt broadband checker It went from 512k, year later to 1mb, then 2mb. Now to 256k. Why would it say this....

Thanks

...........because your line has deteriorated, probably due to a fault.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

oh right i see.....the broadband checker websites check in real time...stat wise for speed accievable...I thought It just went on postcode or something... Any one else have any information on how the bt checker for example works...... this would make sense as its been saying 256k for a while now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12