Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

GDMT vs ADSL2+ 2 or 3 Qs'.

This is a discussion on GDMT vs ADSL2+ 2 or 3 Qs'. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I joined Sky broadband (Max) recently and am totally unhappy with the speeds I'm getting, details below; ADSL Link ...

Native is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chesterfield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Unhappy GDMT vs ADSL2+ 2 or 3 Qs'.

Hi, I joined Sky broadband (Max) recently and am totally unhappy with the speeds I'm getting, details below;

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 160 kbps 544 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 7 db

Now i know the line attenuation means I'm about at the limit of getting broadband at all. The speed does vary, goes up to about 365 at the top end, the noise varies too, been as low as 0 and and high as 9.

My first question is, i understand that adsl2+ would result in more instability compared to gdmt, but if it would gain me an extra half meg + (you can see it would make all the difference), would it be worth the switch. Just how unstable would the connection be? Kitz tells me i may get about 1700kb, I'd be happy with 1200kb if that would reduce the instability. Hell, a meg would do.

Secondly and more generally, is there anything else myself or Sky could actually do to improve things? Think they would lower the contention ratio for example? Would increasing the gain on the line help any? How about flashing the router to an unofficial firmware? This is a newly installed phone line btw.

I've done all the tier1 stuff, master socket, test socket, phones unplugged etc, it helps, slightly, but i need a real world solution where i don't have to move the whole computer into the living room. I've done the ringwire trick, and looked at the XTE-2005, but i'm thinking i'm just stuffed living so far from the exchange.
      Any info to the contrary would be some welcome news indeed. Thanks in advance guys.

Mick.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: GDMT vs ADSL2+ 2 or 3 Qs'.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
      My first question is, i understand that adsl2+ would result in more instability compared to gdmt, but if it would gain me an extra half meg + (you can see it would make all the difference), would it be worth the switch.
      Sorry to disappoint you but ADSL2+ only offers a speed advantage over ~10meg (i.e. that's the limit for G.DMT). It won't give you any more speed on your line.

Secondly and more generally, is there anything else myself or Sky could actually do to improve things?
      No, Sky can't do anything to help (and the examples you gave certainly wouldn't help). Your poor connection is down to a very long and noisy line. Get rid of the noise and you will see a significant jump to ~2meg.

If you are saying that a test socket connection (that's the hidden one) using just the supplied router cable (i.e. no extension, splitter etc) is giving you the near enough the same stats (that's sync AND noise margin) then the problem is with the BT line and it's going to be hard if not impossible to get them to do anything about that. That said, your wildly fluctuating noise margin and your stats are typical of a problem with your home wiring not the BT line.

If you're not sure what your test socket stats are telling you then post them but make sure you do the test properly otherwise it's a waste of time.
      Last edited by Saturday; 07-04-08 at 03:57 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

To be honest, if you are getting no improvement from the TEST socket, then there is not much more you can do. Your Attenuation of 63 may be very misleading, as this is as high as most routers will read. Your true attenuation could be way up in the 70s, which is pushing the limits of Broadband.

I don't think Sky will even consider putting you on ADSL2+ as your line will just not handle it. The various graphs you see which show ADSL2+ giving results at very high attenuations are purely theoretical and mean very little in real life.

You may get better speed with another provider who uses different exchange equipment, which may be more tolerant of line conditions, but there is no guarantee. Sky equipment seems to be very 'touchy' when it comes to phone lines with any faults and requires you to do all you can to improve your internal wiring.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi Mick.
      With a long line like yours there is no room slapdash solutions, you must get the DSL sig into your router as soon as you can and keep it as noise free as possible. Here's how.

(1) Check the wiring up to the master socket. By this I mean where the incoming line enters, any junction boxes, and A and B on the master socket, check that all connections are tight and well made.

With the faceplate of the master socket removed and the test socket exposed, check that all other telephone sockets you may have are dead, only the test socket should have a dial tone.

(2) Get a filter faceplate. The XTE-2005 is good

(3) Put your router close to the filter faceplate and connect to the router with a short twisted pair cable.
      (ADSL Nation again, but you could make your own. By short I mean less than 0.5 metre if possible)

(4) Connect router to computer by cable or mains adaptors, not wireless.

Native is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chesterfield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Thanks for all the replies guys, tho i hated them all
      I'll have all the wiring exposed and checked tomorrow, run the master socket test again and post back if there's any significant differences, tho' i aint holding out much hope.
      One thing for Saturday, why do you say that if the line were proved to be at fault that it would be almost impossible to get BT to do anything?
      Hell, how hard can it be to get them to build a new exchange at the bottom of my garden?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

One thing for Saturday, why do you say that if the line were proved to be at fault that it would be almost impossible to get BT to do anything?
      Because BT only guarantee that a line is good for voice/fax not ADSL - do you have a voice problem i.e noise during a call?