Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disconnection

This is a discussion on Disconnection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm back at my nan's as cut-rate tech support, and am having some problems with her broadband. Sometimes, with no ...

iviv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01789
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Disconnection

I'm back at my nan's as cut-rate tech support, and am having some problems with her broadband. Sometimes, with no reason, the internet seems to just disconnect. On the router (Its a black one if that matters) the power and wireless lights are on, and the @ light is on most of the time. But sometimes it goes from green to orange, and there isn't any connection. Restarting the router didn't cause anything. When this happens, trying to visit any webpage asks me for a username and password. Only the router password works, and if I put that in, it takes me to the router page instead.
      She called Sky, and they had her moving the router away from the laptop as it was too close(?) and wanted her to unscrew the phone socket, which she was unwilling to do.

Now, I'm here and waiting for it to happen again so I can give tech support a ring while its actually happening, but I thought I'd ask here while I wait. Any ideas on things to test, or how to fix it?

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Disconnection

and wanted her to unscrew the phone socket
      see the first link in my sig, What they were trying to do was rule out internal wiring and the test socket is the only way to do it

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, I'll ask her about that when she gets back. I just had a very quick hunt around and couldn't find anything like that, though its a fairly old house.

Also, just because the internet was going slowly I ran a speedtest.net test, and got this result:

And I don't remember having an upload faster than the download before.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

before you go back to look at the sockets, have a look in the cabling and faceplate forum for tip on how to improve your internal wiring (there are a few threads where people do not have an NTE5 socket, but there are still things you can to improve)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, sorry for the slow update, been rather busy. Anyway, the problem is still happening sporadically, but I decided to check out the master socket anyway while I was up there.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9...1000492ru4.jpg

Thats the result
      I've been assured thats the master socket, but I don't think I'll be able to get much tested from there. There used to be a phone there, but there isn't anymore.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That is the Master socket, but it looks like it has been wired up 'inexpertly'. It is not an NTE5, but a LJU2/1A Master, which makes things a bit more difficult. In a normal installation the wires that carry the signal are the blue/white/blue ones, with the orange used for the ring circuit. Yours seem to have a white one and a green one in there. I think you can safely remove the orange wire from terminal 3, which is the faraway bottom one in your pic. This may make a slight or big improvement, results are different circuit to circuit, but it will make an improvement.

With a bit of luck Brian, our telecom wiring guru, will pick the thread up and may be able to advise you further.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Should I make a similar thread with the pic in the actual cabling forum, or will this be ok here?

jaykev is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01535
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Re: Disconnection

i too have been asked to do this but when i took the front off my phone box i lost my call on reringing i got another guy had to explain everything all over again now to be told i will have to bring all my computer from the room it's in to my living room so it can be plugged into the main socket to see if this is why i have no connection. where will it all end , only been with sky 1 mth all ready fed up with them:mad

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

In all fairness it is not Skys fault if your internal wiring is not "fit for purpose" All they are trying to do is eliminate potential problems to ensure you can achieve the best connection speeds. Rather like what this site tries to do

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Hi Iviv.
      You should remove the connections to "3" on the socket in the picture. these are the ring wires. Isitme is right, this is an old type master. Depending on how your BB performs after you have done that, and depending on how you feel about it, you could replace the master with a NTE-5 type. But for now pull the ring wires, and this may solve your problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast