Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can't Upload and download at the same time?????

This is a discussion on Can't Upload and download at the same time????? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Over the last few days When I have been uploading photos and that I cant do anything else its like ...

sara123456 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can't Upload and download at the same time?????

Over the last few days When I have been uploading photos and that I cant do anything else its like the whole speed is being use just for the uploading, As soon as the upload stops everything works fine i just cant upload and look at sites at the same time.

I have rang sky they said I could have a virus lol but when i said i was on a mac they didn't know what to do. I know its not my mac as I have checked the internet on other computers with my internet and it still has the same problem.
      I have done speed check and they all come out fine but they don't test the upload and download at the same time. Do you guys think I have been capped or something. Can any of you guy help me out because its doing my head in.

Settings

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 847 842 0 426 1273 00:09:00
      LAN 10M/100M 1916 0 0 8 0 11:56:51
      WLAN 11M/54M 686965 505250 0 21294 5023 11:56:43

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6912 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 db 22.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 13.0 db

I don't no what any of that means lol

Thanks

Sara
      Last edited by sara123456; 03-04-08 at 12:44 PM.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Can't Upload and download at the same time?????

If you're uploading data, it can slow down the download speeds considerably.

The A in ADSL stands for Asymmetric. This means that the download speed is much greater than the upload speed. Normally, this isn't a problem because the only data on the upstream are your requests to fetch web pages, etc., and the messages your computer sends out to confirm that data on the downstream has been successfully received.

But if you are uploading a file at the same time, then those confirmation messagees have to compete with the file upload. They do get through eventually, but they can be slightly delayed. This delay can interpreted by the web server that your browsing to, that there is a problem, and it tries sending the web page data again.

The upshot of all this is that when you're uploading a file, doing general web browsing at the same time can show a very large slowdown in speed. It's just a fact of life with ADSL, and not an indication of a virus.
      Last edited by James67; 04-04-08 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Muddled up "asynchronous" and "asymmetric"

sara123456 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks alot for taking the time to reply much better than sky. I will just have to put up with it then when uploading large files. Thanks again Sara

hbdgaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As James57 said, the slowdown is caused by swamping the upload bandwidth you have available. As you can see from your connection speed:

Connection Speed 6912 kbps 416 kbps
      Your download connection speed is 6912kbps, compared to only 416kbps upload. It's a similar effect to downloading a lot at the same time; it's just harder to swamp the download bandwidth as there's a lot more of it.

I use a programme called netlimiter on my PC, I'm not sure what the alternative applications for macs are available, but it allows you to limit the upload and download speed of every application running. So in your case, you could limit the upload speed of whichever application you're using to upload photos to, say, 10kb/s. This would make the photos upload slower, but wouldn't leave your connection unusable as they upload.
      Last edited by hbdgaz; 03-04-08 at 03:13 PM.