Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Printing through my sky router

This is a discussion on Printing through my sky router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a printer connected to my router via a wireless print server. Is it possible to connect an additional ...

jimwalshe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Printing through my sky router

I have a printer connected to my router via a wireless print server. Is it possible to connect an additional printer to the back of the router with a patch lead? There are 2 yellow ports, a blue one and a green one free.

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Printing through my sky router

Yes of course - You will need another print server. Many wireless ones also have a wired connection (eg this one dabs.com - NetGear 54MBPS WIRELESS PRINT SERVER (WGPS606)) if you prefer to do it that way. Just plug into any of the three free ethernet ports on your router - For the moment at least they are all active and all do the same thing - Transmit Ethernet. This may change in the future but for now any of them will do. If you were to run out of ports you just need an ethernet Switch such as this one dabs.com - NetGear 5 Port 10 / 100 / 1000mbps Gigabit Switch (GS605UK) Plug one of the ports on the switch into your router and plug the extra devices into the spare ports on the Switch.

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Do you need a print server these days? I've a basic Epson C46 which is wired to the main PC, but is also installed on my laptop. I print wirelessly via my home network with no problems.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes you can share a printer which is physically attached to a networked PC but doing it this way requires the PC to be turned on whenever you want to print - Not convenient for everyone and not very green either. However doing it this way will save the cost of a print server. A unbranded print server can be found for as little was 20.

The question jimwalshe asked was how to connect another printer to his router.... Answer remains to use a print server.

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Thanks

Ohhh, see, learn something every day if you try

legoman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Derby - EMDRRBB
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I went out and bought myself a wireless printer when I subscribed to Sky. Not knowing anything about computers and wireless stuff, the salesman was able to dupe me into thinking the printer would work anywhere in my house within range of my router...

It turns out that, you can have any colour, as long as it's black... Or, I can put the printer anywhere in my house, as long as the router sits no further than 3ft away!

So I've been mulling the same idea... could I use the wireless router provided for me by Sky (I now use my own router) and plug it directly into the printer's ethernet port, and then configure the router to attach to my other router, and so on...

The printer is capable of having an IP address and DHCP address "forced" onto it with its own config menu, which is what I have to do anyway to get it to accept the DHCP of the router when using it wireless (I don't wanna have to manually configure all the PC's in the house to get around having to use the DHCP).

I guess my question is, can I cobble all this together and get around the whole having to buy a print server thing?

Sorry if this is a stupid question/post, but I'm a technophobe in need of help!!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@legoman
      What you are suggesting is to use your old router as a wireless bridge. My guess would be that your router almost certainly won't do this and in any case if the printer won't pick up a wireless signal wherever you place it, there has to be a good chance your second router (or a wireless bridge or wireless print server) won't either (unless you are saying that the wireless in the printer is faulty)

My best advice would be to do away with the wireless and use a pair of homeplug type ethernet over mains adapters. These are 36 for the pair : Solwise Homeplugs. You just plug them into the mains and connect one to your router and the other to the printer using the supplied cables. Cheaper still would be to run an ethernet cable from your router to wherever you want to place your printer but this may be logistically difficult.

legoman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Derby - EMDRRBB
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

That's mad! Is there nothing we haven't thought of yet??!

I have to say, that's a really good idea, thank you!!

Am I right to assume that these power socket things work as a wired-wireless range booster?

It's a shame I couldn't put the Sky router to good use though...

But, thankyou! I would have never known about the socket things!

fergyc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blyth
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can someone give me a link for a cheap print server. i go for price and quaity not for brands