Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Intermittent no connection problem.

This is a discussion on Intermittent no connection problem. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone. Been getting imtermittent problems browsing. Doing a ipconfig /flushdns cures the problem. Is there any way I can ...

johnil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Intermittent no connection problem.

Hi everyone.

Been getting imtermittent problems browsing. Doing a ipconfig /flushdns cures the problem.

Is there any way I can permanantly fix this problem? I'm using IE 7 and Vista.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent no connection problem.

If using the original white Netgear router it may be the UPnP bug. Switch off UPnP in the router interface (see Sky CD help files or tutorials on this site for how).

If other router -- probably wireless reception prob.

jimbo2112 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have a total loss of connection now. I switch on and the internet is connected (green light on router) but if I do get the web it is for a very short period. The net then goes and I cannot get reconnected. If this is the UPnP bug, can it happen spontaneously after over a year of having a (fairly) good connection?

I tried to speak to Sky about this and they said they would send a new router straight away. 1 week later, no router, so I phoned them and they said I should not have been offered a new router. Very unhelpful man on the phone, I asked to speak to his supervisor and he said he was busy. He then puts the phone down on me!

Anyway rant over ... I'll search elsewhere for the answer to this on and report back if I get any joy

Jimbo

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you tried using OpenDNS also turn off UPnP as has been suggested.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

johnil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Hi.

Turned off upnp. Still no good. I'm using a LAN cable for connection.

I'll try openDNS.

It is the white router I'm using.

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You could be getting negative entrys in the dns cache have you got service pack 1 as i think there was an issue with this but then microsoft fixed it in sp1.With windows xp you used to be able to edit the registry and that was it.

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Try this and see if it works:

To resolve this issue, disable the DHCP BROADCAST flag in Windows Vista. To do this, follow these steps: 1.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. 2.Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
      In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.3.On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.4.In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then press ENTER.5.Right-click DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then click Modify.6.In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.7.Close Registry Editor.

If this does not work just right click the key that you added and delete it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

This is not a fix, rather a work-around. If using the Open servers does not help try disabling the DNS cache. To do this -
      Click Start>type cmd
      Right-click cmd.exe, and select Run as Administrator
      When the Command window opens, type net stop dnscache and hit enter to disable DNS Cache.
      If it does no good you can re-enable it by doing the same but type net start dnscache and hit enter.

Note - You must run as Administrator and accept the UAC or you will get an error.

Funnily enough, like many Widows problem disabling then enabling often cures the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.