Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Help! Disconnection Problems with Sky Max

This is a discussion on Help! Disconnection Problems with Sky Max within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme Try plugging a corded phone direct to the Test socket and dial one digit to remove ...

hardeepr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alvaston
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: HH5
      Sky TV: SkyD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Help! Disconnection Problems with Sky Max

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Try plugging a corded phone direct to the Test socket and dial one digit to remove the dial tone. The line should be dead quiet, with no pops, clicks, hisses or other noise. If there is any noise, report it to BT as a noisy line and they may be able to do something about it. If you do contact BT do not mention Sky broadband, or they will do nothing.

If there is no noise on the line at all, there is not much you can do except phone Sky and report a dropping connection. There may be other opinions, so unless your line is noisy, wait for someone to post before you phone Sky.

You can also try the quiet line test. Dial 17070 and choose option 2.

I had a similar problem with my Virgin ADSL connection - lots of connection drops. I listened to the phone after one particularly bad 20 minute stint and heard a lot of noise. (Checking over several days the noise was random and often not there.)

Anyhow I did contact BT about the line noise and mentioned the broadband issue without it causing any issues. In fact the the BT guy said even if there a specific broadband only problem Virgin would probably insist that BT Openreach resolve the random line noise first anyway.

Over the Easter weekend Openreach visited me twice - first time they fitted a master socket but couldn't find the source of the noise. Things got worse on Saturday so BT arranged for Openreach to check the external wiring. They came around Tuesday afternoon and because of the random nature heard no noise again. I mentioned a possible weather link so one of them got a rod with a hook and gave the line a shake - they described it as a "wind simulator" - and the noise was unbelievable. 90 minutes later they had fitted a new cable. They showed me the old one - it had just about split - and were amazed I was getting a signal at all.

I have to say I was very pleased with the service. I had been considering to go to Virginmedia's cable service but decided stay with BT as a result. (I'm trying to get Sky Max but that's proving to be a struggle since their computer won't accept my MAC number for some reason - it's now been escalated and being handled by CST.)

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

CST dont deal with provisoning issues...

it might be with 'T3' provisioning but if you've been told it's with CST then that's wrong - they're support for ACTIVE connections/...
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 02-04-08 at 06:41 PM.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

hardeepr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alvaston
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: HH5
      Sky TV: SkyD 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      CST dont deal with provisoning issues...

it might be with 'T3' provisioning but if you've been told it's with CST then that's wrong - they're support for ACTIVE connections/...
      My bad - I probably misheard during the phonecall and incorrectly recalled it as CST due its regular mention on this forum. Thanks for the correction.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

np - just hope it is being dealt with by provisioning and not CST as it'll be a waste of time...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Pablo79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

tried the phone line last night - dialled number 1 and listened, no hiss to report

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unfortunately it looks like you will have to phone Sky and report a dropping connection. They will cap your connection to a lower speed which should stabilize the line and prevent the drop-outs. With your attenuation, your line would have to be perfect to sync at over 7000kbps and still be stable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'd take a reasonably slower connection if it meant I could use it without dropouts, usually get around 7mbps which is decent enough - and certainly better than my previous provider (2-3mbps with TTalk).

how low do you think they'll suggest in capping it too

anyone know how long it will take for me to go through all this with Sky - for them to come to this conclusion of capping the line?

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

usually get around 7mbps
      That is why I suggested it is too fast for your line. You would normally only get this stable on G.DMT with an attenuation of about 40 or under.

Getting past the script readers on T1 is the difficult part. When you get past them to the CST, they should fix it in minutes. If they are not too busy, they will spend some time with you and get the best stable speed they can. If they are very busy they may just whack it right down to be sure it is stable. What speed this will be is almost impossible to say.
      Last edited by Isitme; 03-04-08 at 04:50 PM. Reason: typo

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I will call them tonight and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the advice

karthik67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,
      I am using sky mid and for first two days my connection worked perfect and fast. since then frequent disconnection is a routine. we have tested every posssible angles, changed router, tested on test socket still the same problem persists. I am posting the stats what i have got

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4384 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45.0 db 29.0 db
      Noise Margin 9.9 db 14.0 db

can some one throw some light as to where the problem could be. I used a thompson router for a few days. somehow i seem to hold the connection far better than the netgear 834GT or the 934G

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast