Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Broadband Users and Firefox 2.0.0.13.

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Users and Firefox 2.0.0.13. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just like the last version of iTunes (6.1) causing people to get a low virtual memory warning. (Install the newer ...

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cool Sky Broadband Users and Firefox 2.0.0.13.

Just like the last version of iTunes (6.1) causing people to get a low virtual memory warning. (Install the newer update that iTunes sent out to fix it). People thought their PCs were broken etc.

Now it seems that the last update to Firefox version 2.0.0.13...has the same problem with Firefox going from fine to 'not responding' every couple of minutes.

I reinstalled Firefox 2.0.0.12 and the problem has stopped.

So any Sky Broadband users....using Firefox as their browser...if you have the latest Firefox 13....uninstall it and put in 12.

This prior version can be found on filehippo.com - Download Free Software.

Until Firefox send out an update to fix this 2.0.0.13.

The update sent thru up to mid march must have a glitch in it. There's reference to this on the net if you look up Firefox browser not responding.
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Broadband Users and Firefox 2.0.0.13.

Couldn't find it on the link you gave. Here's one direct to Mozilla

Windows Version

ftp.osuosl.org :: Oregon State University Open Source Lab

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Does the glitch refer to XP, Vista or both. I'm running 2.00.13 with no problems as yet?
      The only trouble I've had with Apple is them wanting me to try Safari, but i've downloaded it,tried it, deleted it (what a load of!)

pairyhenis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the heads up

This was driving me nuts last night!

Cardiff2008 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cardiff Empire
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Does the glitch refer to XP, Vista or both. I'm running 2.00.13 with no problems as yet?
      I run 2.0.0.13 on machines with Vista and with XP and have no problems.....strange!?!?!?!
      The hardest journey you will make is meeting people half way!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

vista/FF fine for me also...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

No problems here either, running Vista XP and 2000!

Are you sure your Firewall is not causing the problem? Most firewalls will block new programs until you allow them, unfortunately sometimes they don't even tell you they are blocking. Norton and Kaperskys are very guilty of this and often do not stop when you disable them. You should should check that Firefox 2.0.0.13 is specifically allowed access. It may be necessary to delete Firefox from the 'Allowed' list and force it to recheck when you reconnect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It must only be affecting certain specs of PCs. I'm XP.

It is affecting a fair volume of people.
      That site filehippo.com - Download Free Software, if you go to Firefox 2.0.0.13 under BROWSERS. Click it and see all the past versions on the right hand side. Click 2.0.0.12....and notice the blue words have changed to "download THIS version" rather than "download LATEST version".

I know this may not affect EVERYONE. But I know enough that it's affecting different people just like the last iTunes muck-up with iTunes 6.1.

And "not responding" will drive you nuts..and make you think your PC is to blame.
      iTunes said "low virtual memory" when you opened it. You uninstalled the 6.1...put in 6.0 and moved your library before you did that. Problem solved.

Both times these problems have appeared on the net on mass. If this wee message helps a few people. Great.
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

Cardiff2008 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cardiff Empire
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just been to that Site you mentioned in your last post. It shows 2.0.0.13 as latest version which is downloadable from top of List. It also shows Betas 4, 3, 2 and 1 together with many other versions of Firefox (including 2.0.0.12) all of which are denoted as 'old' versions?

I must be missing something because I couldn't find any 'Download THIS version' in respect of 2.0.0.12?? Although the Site is headed as Firefox 2.0.0.12, the only reference to 'Download THIS version points to version 2.0.0.13 The link under the page heading (2.0.0.12) takes you to Mozilla's page where 2.0.0.13 is waiting!

I take your point about software causing you to tear your hair out sometimes but this just 'might' be a Firewall problem. There is no mention of problems on the official Firefox site which is 'usually' the case if a patch is needed??

EDIT:

I now see where you're coming from. Although the 'Download This version' points to version 2.0.0.13 (latest) the link lets you download 2.0.0.12. I would suggest that is a Site glitch - link hasn't been changed as there is no mention of problems there with 2.0.0.13

Must admit, it isn't a Site I use as I always get my version of Firefox from official Mozilla Site.
      Last edited by Cardiff2008; 01-04-08 at 05:07 PM.
      The hardest journey you will make is meeting people half way!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is also the possibility that it is a server problem. Are you using the Sky servers?

I must say I can't find any recent reports of 'Firefox browser not responding', most of the ones that come up are weeks, if not months old. If you substitute IE for Firefox you will get over 1,800,000 hits, compared with 54,000 for FF, which may tell you something

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast