Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Printer and DHCP - Help Please?

This is a discussion on Wireless Printer and DHCP - Help Please? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone I'm the new boy on the block. I'm using the usual Sky router,Lexmark X8350 multi. printer and a ...

Deejay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blandford Forum
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Wireless Printer and DHCP - Help Please?

Hi everyone I'm the new boy on the block.
      I'm using the usual Sky router,Lexmark X8350 multi. printer and a Belkin printer adapter.problem: Every two days or about I have to reinstall the print server software.I have found out from Belkin support that this due to a Dynamic address instead of a Static address being provided.Belkin say to remove the problem I need to alter the lease time in the DHCP setting,this means getting into the routers config.program.Thats okay,I can get into the config. prog. alright but where the heck do I go from there.Sky say that this cannot be done because they do not issue a static address so simply reinstall the server software each time its needed.Belkin say thats rubbish, there must be a way to change the DHCP lease time we can do it with all of our servers. So they suggested this site and post my story in the forum, it has been said that some clever person out there is bound to have an answer.
      So rally around you guy's and prove Belkin right.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Wireless Printer and DHCP - Help Please?

I am not sure if assigning a static IP to the printer will help? Maybe someone else could confirm?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think you have been given a bum steer on two fronts. The only reason you are having to reinstall is to pick up the new dynamic IP address You can usually do this without reinstalling but the best way of forcing the IP of the printer not to change is not to increase the DHCP lease time ( which is impossible in the Sky router's management interface) but instead to assign the printer a static IP address.

To do this, first you must determine the MAC address for the network card in your printer. I don't know how you would do this on a Lexmark Printer as I have never used one but if you look at the manual, you may find out. On an HP printer you would print out a diagnostic page which would tell you. It may even br printed on a label on the side of the printer or its original box. If the printer has an LCD display you can probably navigate through the menus to get it. As a last resort you could even try going to Maintenance>Attached devices in the Sky router as the MAC address will probably be listed there. (A MAC address looks like this: NN:NN:NN:NN:NN:NN where NN is a hexadecimal pair.

Armed with this information, you should then login to the router and go to advanced>LAN IP setup. Add a static IP address by inputting the MAC address of the printer and assign an address in the same range as the rest of your network but ideally outside your DHCP range. For example if your router's address is 192.168.0.1 then assign the printer to 192.168.0.200 and reduce the DHCP range so that the "ending IP address" for DHCP is 192.168.80.100. That way DHCP will not allocate any addresses above .100 which won't be an issue unless you have more than 99 PCs all sharing your connection!!

By setting a static IP address in the router you are doing the same thing as setting the DHCP address to never expire (but this is better). If you then reinstall the printer one last time, that should be you sorted.

Hope this helps

Deejay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blandford Forum
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ratcliffes View Post
      I think you have been given a bum steer on two fronts. The only reason you are having to reinstall is to pick up the new dynamic IP address You can usually do this without reinstalling but the best way of forcing the IP of the printer not to change is not to increase the DHCP lease time ( which is impossible in the Sky router's management interface) but instead to assign the printer a static IP address.

To do this, first you must determine the MAC address for the network card in your printer. I don't know how you would do this on a Lexmark Printer as I have never used one but if you look at the manual, you may find out. On an HP printer you would print out a diagnostic page which would tell you. It may even br printed on a label on the side of the printer or its original box. If the printer has an LCD display you can probably navigate through the menus to get it. As a last resort you could even try going to Maintenance>Attached devices in the Sky router as the MAC address will probably be listed there. (A MAC address looks like this: NN:NN:NN:NN:NN:NN where NN is a hexadecimal pair.

Armed with this information, you should then login to the router and go to advanced>LAN IP setup. Add a static IP address by inputting the MAC address of the printer and assign an address in the same range as the rest of your network but ideally outside your DHCP range. For example if your router's address is 192.168.0.1 then assign the printer to 192.168.0.200 and reduce the DHCP range so that the "ending IP address" for DHCP is 192.168.80.100. That way DHCP will not allocate any addresses above .100 which won't be an issue unless you have more than 99 PCs all sharing your connection!!

By setting a static IP address in the router you are doing the same thing as setting the DHCP address to never expire (but this is better). If you then reinstall the printer one last time, that should be you sorted.

Hope this helps
      Many thanks for this idea, I go into hospital tomorrow (Wed) but will print out your text and give a go after my re-bore. Will let you know the outcome later.
      Thanks,
      Deejay.