Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Binary Newsgroups

This is a discussion on Binary Newsgroups within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All , I have just joined the forum and looking for some information. I am currently not subscribed to ...

Welshweeks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01639
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Binary Newsgroups

Hi All ,

I have just joined the forum and looking for some information. I am currently not subscribed to sky broadband but thinking of doing so if it supports binary newsgroups? I tend to use these a fair bit and would be looking to subscribe to the unlimited package. So basically I would like to know the following;

1. Does Sky support or at least not block access to Binary Newsgroups
      2. Is the unlimited package truly unlimited or is it subject to a fair usage policy (peak times etc).

I would be very gratefull for any information.

Regards,

Welshweeks.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Binary Newsgroups

Sky doesn't block, restrict or throttle newsgroup access. Note however that there are two different Sky services: LLU and Connect. The former has no apparent throttling or traffic shaping for any service. The latter, Connect, is a rebadged BT product and this is prone to traffic management which, especially affects P2P but usenet can also be affected.

A fair usage rule applies to Sky's "unlimited" product. The other products have a download (gigabyte) limit. So far I don't believe there have been any reports of the fair use or download limits ever having been enforced (and there are over a million customers) - though I don't think anyone should take it for granted that this will continue if too many heavy downloaders join the service.

dflour69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hastings
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

FYI. Sky Broadband does not have a newserver. So you will have to subscribe to a commercial newserver, e.g. Giganews or News Hosting, for satisfactory retention of binaries.

StarmanUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASTF
      Broadband ISP: O2 Home Broadband Standard
      Thanks

Personally I can recommend Giganews - they maybe the more expensive of the Usenet providers but they provide the best retention (How long items are kept for) and for me personally the best transfer rates.
      There is no Tier 3, only Zhul or rather the Customer Solutions Team...

Welshweeks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01639
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Sky doesn't block, restrict or throttle newsgroup access. Note however that there are two different Sky services: LLU and Connect. The former has no apparent throttling or traffic shaping for any service. The latter, Connect, is a rebadged BT product and this is prone to traffic management which, especially affects P2P but usenet can also be affected.

A fair usage rule applies to Sky's "unlimited" product. The other products have a download (gigabyte) limit. So far I don't believe there have been any reports of the fair use or download limits ever having been enforced (and there are over a million customers) - though I don't think anyone should take it for granted that this will continue if too many heavy downloaders join the service.
      Thanks for the information. How do you know what service you will get (LLU and Connect)?

Also Starman, regarding giganews, I assume your using binaries via sky broadband with no trouble?

StarmanUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASTF
      Broadband ISP: O2 Home Broadband Standard
      Thanks

Indeed I've used both the US/EU server with 4 feeds that then caps out the connection.
      There is no Tier 3, only Zhul or rather the Customer Solutions Team...