Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Same userid on 2 routers on same line?

This is a discussion on Same userid on 2 routers on same line? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I an trying to help a friend who is a Sky user (I'm not). His DG834GT router is at ...

Welshgasman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Same userid on 2 routers on same line?

Hi,

I an trying to help a friend who is a Sky user (I'm not).
      His DG834GT router is at the top of the house (attic) where his main computer is.

They have just got a laptop which the wish to connect wirelessly. I've set that up and all is working except for the fact that when they are downstairs where they generally wish to use it, the signal is very poor and they lose connection.

My Belkin router allows me to surf from the end of my garden no problem, a much further distance, so I was going to try out the ADSL version of my router which I have, to see if the strength was better.

Then I find that the T&Cs state that you must use Sky supplied hardware, so that idea was a non starter. I was considering bridging the routers, but it seems his router is not capable of this, and when I tried it with my router I found I had to be hard wired to the client router to be able to do this, which is no good for them really.

I was wondering though, as he has other phone sockets downstairs, whether he could put another Sky supplied router downstairs.
      I've read up about the userid&pw problem , I and feel we can do that OK, so the same userid would be on twice *but on the same line*. Would he even have to change the pw, as the owner of this particular second router has changed ISPs. I've read the thread re same userid on 2 routers but this is on the same line. We are not trying to fiddle Sky, jusy get a decent working setup.

Does anyone know if this would be possible/allowed.?

I can't believe that there is some poor sod working for Sky sitting there all day inserting passwords into routers and sending them out to individuals. Probably why there are delays in getting your router. :-)

TIA

2. Advertisement
      RobinUsesSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020 8230
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Same userid on 2 routers on same line?

Sorry but there is no way you will get two running on one phone line - they will both be trying to use the same frequency ranges and will basically be speaking over each other.

Welshgasman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobinUsesSky View Post
      Sorry but there is no way you will get two running on one phone line - they will both be trying to use the same frequency ranges and will basically be speaking over each other.
      Ok, thanks for that. Saves us getting to a dead end after a lot of work.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgasman View Post
      I can't believe that there is some poor sod working for Sky sitting there all day inserting passwords into routers and sending them out to individuals. Probably why there are delays in getting your router. :-)
      Ha, ha, no, no-one sits there setting up the routers as they are sent out. The username and password are setup by the router itself (using the router's MAC address and serial number) when it's first switched on.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

you could try poweline adapters as an alternative

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You could use a different make of router Sky haven't punished anyone yet for doing that, but I guess it could happen in the future.

stevvie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey (SMBA)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Or you could do what I do. I disable the wireless on this weak DG834GT and plug your other router into the netgear one (I have a cheapo safecom wireless router that I got from ebuyer for 25 to tied me over a few years back) All I did was disable UPNP and wireless on the netgear and disable DHCP on the safecom. I can now surf the web and access my main PC from anywhere in the house. Before with the netgear it bearly reached upstairs let alone upstairs and along the hallway.
      Last edited by stevvie; 31-03-08 at 11:02 PM.