Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can't get webcam working

This is a discussion on Can't get webcam working within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been with sky a couple of months now, and I simply can't get my webcam to work over it. ...

radionotme is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Banbury
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Can't get webcam working

I've been with sky a couple of months now, and I simply can't get my webcam to work over it.
      Previously it was with Zen and I had no trouble after opening the ports in the router, but with Sky it simply refuses to work.
      I've tried WebcamXP, YAW and a couple of other packages and the only one that even partialy works is eyespyfx - however that goes through a 'reflector server' so updates at about one frame every 2 seconds.

Has anyone else managed to successfully use a webcam, and if so, using what?
      Any special tricks that need to be done on the router, any ports to avoid/use in particular?

2. Advertisement
      truckid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Can't get webcam working

I too have the same problem.

With Webcam XP, the http servers seems to start ok, but the cam/page does not display.

Ports 8080 and 8090 are both open on my router. I have temporarily switched off my firewall. I had, in the past, enabled Remote Management on port 8080, which worked fine (switch off now). I experience the same, on another laptop, so unlikely to be PC related

My webcam works via MSN & Skype, but I want it working on Webcam XP!

sky43389 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02085
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Never had a problem with using a webcam!
      Could it be security software or the new router?
      Ive used MSN and Webcam XP

truckid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've fixed it !

The issue is that the Netgear DG834 does not support a feature called NAT Loopback, this is what is causing the problem when trying to run Webcam XP.

The solution is to flash upgrade a firmware that does support NAT Loopback, the one I used is from DGTEAM, it works perfectly.

PLEASE NOTE, be aware of consequences of flashing your router, if it goes **** up, you will have to try recover to original firmware or contact SKY for a new one. I have more than one router, so not an issue for me.

Before you do this, have the Sky Broadband CD to hand, which came with your router, this contains the Netgear Recovery Utility and the original firmware (in case it goes wrong, or you want to revert back)

1. Find out your Sky router username/password, you can use this link;
      https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

2.Download and unzip firmware from here ;
      Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files
      (DG834GT_V1.02.09_DGTeam_0743 in zip format)

3. From the Sky CD, explore the cd, find and copy the Netgear Recovery folder to your local drive. Replace the original firmware in this folder with the version you have just downloaded and unzipped).

3. Connect your pc to the router (using network cable, not wireless, if using laptop, ensure that it is also mains powered). Put your Router into Recovery mode by doing the following :

With the router off, hold in the factory reset button while powering it up, then hold in the reset button for a further 10 seconds or so until the Power & Tick LED's flash alternately. It is then in recovery mode (NB - This instruction is for the white Netgear V1 DG834GT router ONLY - not the new black ones!)

4. Run the UpgradeWizard (for Vista users, you can try running this in compatibility mode and as admin, otherwise it might Bluescreen) this should first prompt for your network connection and then should find your device (there have been issues with the device not being found, first check the router is in recovery mode (flashing alternate LEDs), if it is, then you have to try using another pc/network card).

5. Once its all done, you need to log back into router admin page (192.168.0.1). The default password and username is admin / password.

6. The Router should run a detection wizard, select UK and let it do the rest, when prompted for user/password, enter the details you extracted earlier. NAT Loopback is enabled by default.

Remember all settings will have been wiped/set to default, so you will have to setup wireless security/keys/passwords all over again.

The final step for Webcam XP is to ensure that ports TCP 8080 and TCP 8090 are opened on the router, the following link should help

Port Forwarding for the Netgear DG834

Note I configured the rules for both outbound and inbound. When configuring for inbound, the value of 'Send To Lan Server' should be the local IP of your PC.

Thats it !

Useful links;

Flashing a new Sky Netgear DG834GT Router

[DG834GT/PN/N] UNOFFICIAL FIRMWARE - DGTeam

radionotme is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Banbury
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Fantastic - unfortunately with the Sagem router I can't try that :-(