Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

no connectionon xp

This is a discussion on no connectionon xp within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, having problem connection to sky broadband on my desktop pc running windows xp with sp2. It was working fine ...

bangin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

no connectionon xp

Hi,

having problem connection to sky broadband on my desktop pc running windows xp with sp2. It was working fine until yesterday afternoon and it will now not display any web page. I click for diagnose problems and windows comes back with check leads etc but they are all in place. I'm writing this on my works Eee pc running on linux so the connection looks fine. My internet connetions look fine on properties but again i get no web page. I've swapped over the rj45 cables and ports on the router and that made no difference so i'm baffled as i've made no changes to my desktop connections either. This is the second time this had happened and it just started working again after a couple of hours so i'm none the wiser as to why this has happened. Any help on this would be helpful.

Thanks Paul
      (typing on this Wee is doing my head in!)

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: no connectionon xp

possibly a DNS issue - trying changing to OpenDNS and see what happens...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Cardiff2008 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cardiff Empire
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

...or try flushing DNS...

How do I flush DNS?
      The hardest journey you will make is meeting people half way!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Spoke to sky technical yesterday who recommended I try removing avg as that may be preventing the pages loading. I removed avg and then turned my firewall off and errrr no it didn't work. Gave up last night and tried again today at about 2pm and its working?????

Good job really as I had my tailgate window smashed and my asus Eee and tool case nicked at about 3pm near Solihull in the midlands.

Thanks again to the help offerered and i'm lucky this is working but i'm starting to regret getting sky broadband.

Cardiff2008 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cardiff Empire
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

...spoke to sky technical yesterday who recommended I try removing avg...
      I have AVG and have no problems at all...so it shouldn't be that. Fingers crossed it continues to work OK..

Sorry to hear about your damage/theft by the way....
      The hardest journey you will make is meeting people half way!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

but i'm starting to regret getting sky broadband.
      Maybe you are being a bit harsh. The fact that your connection is OK on another machine means the fault is with your PC, which you can hardly blame Sky for. AV is very unlikely to cause a connection problem, although your firewall certainly will if it is not configured properly.

Download and run TCPOptimiser, it will check and correct the settings on your PC. It may also be advisable to update the drivers of your NIC. MS have a habit of updating these with duff drivers, so go to the NIC manufacturers site, download the latest and install them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: a bit harsh

Well after running with another broadband company for 16 months on a copy of xp pro and running with a genuine version of the naff norton internet secuirity and having no connection problems i think i have a valid and fair point in saying what i said about sky broadband. I changed to the genuine xp home and avg and had no problems with the smaller broadband company untill i changed to sky and have had 2 instances where i have been unable to view pages or download e-mail through outlook. There is no problem with the setting on my pc and remember the Eee i was using was running on linux not on windows. If my settings were wrong then why did my pc decide to let me view and download my e-mails 2 days after it stopped without me doing any changes?

I make my living as a service engineer and i know that if i make changes and something then goes wrong its my fault because i've altered the settings and its wont work untill i reset them to how they should be. If my broadband isn't working and i don't touch the settings and then it starts working again - logic tells me its not my settings its something else, in this case sky broadband.

With regards to the low life who decided to purchase goods from my vehicle for free - i did get an e-mail to say my tool case had been recovered so not all bad news

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

just cause you've not changed something doesn't mean something else has...

there's an update which came out mid-feb which stopped internet access to those using Kaspersky/Norton/AVG but was hit & miss as to whether you'd be affected...SO many variants and the fact another PC works means Sky is not at fault...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket