Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Removing BT software

This is a discussion on Removing BT software within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by richone54 AFAIK you will have to remove them yourself (the disk that comes with sky is only ...

BLUEBELT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01905
      Broadband ISP: want Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Removing BT software

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      AFAIK you will have to remove them yourself (the disk that comes with sky is only good for if you want Mcaffe)
      I saw on your page "Check Master Socket" the Master socket I have looks nothing like the one on your info- mine is just a box where the plug goes in it has been by the window for about 30 years! and I dont think it has had any attention -and my wiring outside has been there even longer- I am suprised my present broadband works- I am supposed to get a speed of 1 mg the best I have ever had is the lowest speed BT thinks is acceptable.
      Not sure if I should have started a new post for this. Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

AVG, good choice, been using it myself for a few years on XP and not had a single virus get through. Ccleaner is good, as is Adaware and SpywareBlaster (the latter populates IE and/or Firefox restricted sites and stuff to help prevent getting into trouble).

Re Sky install - all you have to do is plug the PC's ethernet port into the router and the PC will be configured to use the router to get to the Internet automatically. If you're using the wireless connection to the router the same thing will happen once you've entered into your PC the "Network Key" that Sky have supplied with the router - it is a cryptic series of letters.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Netgeezer View Post
      AVG, good choice, been using it myself for a few years on XP and not had a single virus get through. Ccleaner is good, as is Adaware and SpywareBlaster (the latter populates IE and/or Firefox restricted sites and stuff to help prevent getting into trouble).

Re Sky install - all you have to do is plug the PC's ethernet port into the router and the PC will be configured to use the router to get to the Internet automatically. If you're using the wireless connection to the router the same thing will happen once you've entered into your PC the "Network Key" that Sky have supplied with the router - it is a cryptic series of letters.
      I have AdAware as well. Thanks for the advice on connecting to Sky, I dont have a wireless card on my computer or the grandaughters; they are both connected with Ethernet cables so this is how I will connect.
      When I put the router onto my computer will that also set up the other computer which is in another room?
      Does Sky have its own Browser as does BT?
      cheers.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm presuming that both PCs are wired up to an existing BT router? If so the Sky router just replaces it one-for-one. So long as both PCs are set up to auto-configure then you'll be fine with the Sky router.

Sky does not have its own Browser - I don't know about BT but I think they brand your browser (Internet Explorer?) with search and that stuff. Sky have a homepage Sky.com - Home but to be honest you're probably best off with whatever homepage you like. Why not check out BBC - Homepage - you can pretty much customise it how you like within their parameters. Even Google can be customised to a fair degree.

In the end, the homepage you want is out there somewhere
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Netgeezer
      They are connected to a Voyager 240 so a straight swop will be very easy I will check if both PCs are autoconfigure set.
      BBC sounds good. cheers

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEBELT View Post
      I saw on your page "Check Master Socket" the Master socket I have looks nothing like the one on your info-
      could you post a picture of the box and also if you open it up and post a pic of what it looks like inside

Sky TV:
      Thanks

could you post a picture of the box and also if you open it up and post a pic of what it looks like inside
      My grandaughter has a digital camera when she is here I will get a picture and send it, probably tomorrow, thanks for your help richone54
      Cheers

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well fun and games today; we took a picture of the master socket- I then unscrewed the cover and took that off to get a picture and all the spider webs and dust came out and the wiring came apart after cleaning I put back the two wires coming from outside into two little connectors which carried coloured wires- put it all together- but phone did not work I swopped over the two incoming wires and got the phone working- but had no internet connection so I phoned BTs help line; what a load of rubbish it is getting to any one who can help after waiting twenty mins someone checked out the line and said all was working ok- I said well I want a new master socket as this one had all the wiring cooked up and was about 30 yrs old- I was told BT will not replace it as it is working well at the moment- I said I thought this was a factor in my low Broadband speed he said sorry I cant help you and he gave me a number to get Broadband help
      I did get back online by taking the power off my router leaving it for a few mins and the reconnecting,sorry to be long winded.
      How the hell can I tell them -Look I am the customer and I want a new Master socket
      cheers.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

First of all it is against BT T&C's for you to mess about with your master socket, so only do this if you know what you are doing. If the socket works for normal phone use, then BT will not replace it free of charge, and if you think you have a BB problem with it, then you would need to get Sky to speak to BT for you as they are BT's customer for BB, not you.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks; when I am connected to Sky B/B I will follow up what you say, by the way I did not want BT to fit the new master socket for free I offered to pay.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast