Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

1st Day of SKY Max....my stats are low...

This is a discussion on 1st Day of SKY Max....my stats are low... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Forgot that the upload shows what i'm on. Thanks. Will keep that in mind when enquiring. Dont worry wont tell ...

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 1st Day of SKY Max....my stats are low...

Forgot that the upload shows what i'm on.

Thanks.

Will keep that in mind when enquiring. Dont worry wont tell Tier 1 about it. It would only blow their minds. LOL
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

2. Advertisement
      mattyg29 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aston Common
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello would like to carry on this thread for further information please,

I got connected to the max package today and my downstream connection is at 8160 kbps I have phoned sky twice today cause I have a nice warm feeling I can acheive better.

After reading though various threads regarding gdmt and adsl2 + I rang sky for the second time asking what im set at "gdmt or adsl2 +" as the thread above it totally baffled them, but it must be an easy question to answer.

I got passed from tier 1 then her manager, saying that is the best connection my phone line can acheive, but I kept asking am I connected on gdmt or adsl2 + setting, I got an answer of "I don't know", anyway got passed along twice more to a technician not the highest because I asked her, she said there is 1 higher than her.

This nice lady said also this is the best connection I can achieve, again the dreaded question am I set at gdmt or adsl2 + again I don't know but I will take a look, she told me connection settings 8160 downstream and 768 upstream, again I asked her the question, this is what I am ringing for so she tapped away again and 2 seconds later told me im on adsl2 +.

I feel this is a lie, I hope not, cause who likes being lied too? and the 2 threads directly above this could confirm that it is because of my 768 upstream which seems to be linked to a gdmt setting.

Here is my router statistics:

Connection Speed: Downstream 8160 kbps -- Upstream 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation: Downstream 18db -- Upstream 5db
      Noise Margin: Downstream 13db -- Upstream 14db

Done speed tests and I am getting 7mb

Please could someone tell me and many others, how they went about getting an answer to "Am I on a gdmt or adsl2 + setting"

If I am on a adsl2 + setting then fair enough that is my best connection, but would be nice to know.

Many Thanks, Matt

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You are almost certainly G.DMT and absolutely certainly capped.

Looking at your attenuation and noise margin you'd get a significantly higher sync uncapped on ADSL2+.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I said I would never do it but for educational purposes I went into my router that I was using for my previous broadband provider, and I could only connect by using the g.dmt mode.

So there we go...

Thanks for the reply saturday

Sky TV:
      Thanks

After phoning sky twice yesterday, I thought I would try emailing them about my g.dmt and adsl2 + query. Got a response in the early hours telling me to check for spyware and to clean my cache etc... I promptly replied to that email quite nastily, anyway this is the email I recieved this morning when I woke.

"I'm sorry to learn of the difficulties you have been experiencing with our broadband service.

I have escalated this issue to our Customer Solutions Team who have attempted to set your line to 16M b and switched it to ADSL2, but best achieved was less than 10.5Mb. Th ey have therefore capped the line at 10Mb and reduced the max delays to 16.

Please monitor this for the ne xt few days, and contact us again if this causes difficulties with your connection."

Ok so getting somewhere, can someone tell me if setting my line to 16mb can not be done is true, or am I still been taken for a merry ride and what does "reduced max delays to 16" mean? I will google it lol

Here is my latest router statistics:

Connection Speed: Downstream 10237 kbps -- Upstream 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation: Downstream 20db -- Upstream 5db
      Noise Margin: Downstream 7db -- Upstream 18db

Thanks Matt

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

AFAIK reducing max delay reduces your ping figure but can have detrimental effects on your connection. ie your line may have to be capped to sustain a stable connection.

It appears that you are now on ADSL2+, but due to noise on your line it has been capped. In other words this time, you are not being lied too. Your actions now should be to plug in to the Test socket, which is behind the face plate of your master socket. If your internal wiring is at fault you should see an immediate and substantial rise in your SNR. Do this and post back with the stats for more advice.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

The stats of the router stay the same when plugged into the engineer socket.

So this is the best connection for my phone line, I have noticed that there is no difference being connected at 8 or 10 mb, but if I get a dodgy connection my task would be then to be put back on g.dmt lol.

Well I got there in the end, and now I know, it's the not knowing and not been given an explanation that gets to people.

Thanks for the reply isitme

Matt

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattyg29 View Post
      Ok so getting somewhere, can someone tell me if setting my line to 16mb can not be done is true, or am I still been taken for a merry ride and what does "reduced max delays to 16" mean? I will google it lol

Here is my latest router statistics:

Based on those figures, that's the maximum your line can deliver in its current condition.

Compared to the earlier G.DMT stats your line is struggling with ADSL2+. That suggests to me that the noise you have on your line is hitting the high frequencies (which ADSL2+ uses) quite badly.

If the stats stay the same in the test socket (note: as you're capped you're looking for a noise margin increase not sync) and you are using just the supplied router cable, (no extension cable to connect, no splitter, no phone etc and you've tried swapping filters), then the problem lies in the BT line.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I probably confused you saying SNR instead of Noise Margin. Post your stats from the engineers test socket and lets have a look. If you have any extensions at all, there should be an improvement, even if it is slight.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Like I said everything is the same, but here I will post the stats, no phone etc just the filter into the test socket.

Cheers Matt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast