Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Upgrading package and upload speeds?

This is a discussion on Upgrading package and upload speeds? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; That's fantastic. Thanks for the help I'll get onto Sky next week about upgrading my subscription then. And I'll get ...

loki365 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01992
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Upgrading package and upload speeds?

That's fantastic. Thanks for the help

I'll get onto Sky next week about upgrading my subscription then. And I'll get into those articles on Sunday and do some tests from the master socket etc.

Can I apply for the subscription upgrade online or will I have to phone up? Will they wait to the next billing month to start or would they carry out the upgrade straight away do you think? Presumably they'll have to move me to ADSL2+ so some downtime will be involved.

Are you going for the upgrade then Julian? It'll be interesting to see what kind of speeds you can get.

2. Advertisement
      Julian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loki365 View Post
      Are you going for the upgrade then Julian? It'll be interesting to see what kind of speeds you can get.
      Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm 90% sure I'm going to upgrade but I am a bit disappointed that it sounds as if I'll see very little if any improvement in download speed. I think I'll call Sky next week and see what the contractual position is regarding downgrading back to the Mid package if I don't see any benefit from the Max; I'm hoping that I won't get locked into a 12 month Max contract on the day I upgrade.

Regarding my noise margin, I'll do a reboot later today and let you (Saturday) know if it stays at 9dB. My stats posted earlier in this thread were about 15 minutes after my first ever reboot/connection to Sky so I'm not sure if my modem would have still been in some training/learning mode.

As far as I know my wiring is very good in my apartment. I already fitted an ADSL nation faceplate and disconnected the ring wire from all my extensions so I'll just try the master socket test to see if there's much benefit to be had from completely disconnecting all extensions but short of that then I've done all I can to optimise my wiring I think.

Does going from Mid to Max involve an order being processed in the BT systems or is it all done at Sky's end? I ask because I have a couple of PSTN orders in BT's system right now so I'm strongly inclined to not request any change on my broadband until those are completed. I signed up for Sky broadband on 31st January 2008 and finally got connected yesterday (is that a record for a bad connection experience?) and broadband-PSTN conflicts in BT's system were one of the causes of the delays so I'm very wary of that now.

- Julian

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Out of interest, is your noise margin 9db when you reboot? If so then you may be lightly capped.
      Yup. After a reboot (and also changing the phone cable for a slightly longer one because the sky-supplied one was a bit short) all my stats (connection speed, line attenuation and noise margin) are absolutely identical to my previous post for both upstream and downstream. Is this good news (i.e. if I am lightly capped)?

I've been with UK Online for a few years prior to moving to Sky and the download speed did vary somewhat on reboots so as a layman I find it suspicious that my download speed came out at exactly the same 7616kbs as it did the last time.

Once my PSTN orders have cleared BT's system (Tue or Wed) then I'll call Sky and discuss my options.

- Julian

seaninfrared is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gorseinon, South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Even if you upgrade to MAX and they keep you on G.DMT and say you cannot handle ADSL2+, you can ring them go through the whole slow speeds troubleshoot, and get someone from CST to cap you at a higher speed. As your 35db attenuation could probably handle about 12 - 14 Mb. So ring them up if you are unsure about speeds and capped, but make sure you go through the troubleshoot, and get through to someone who knows how to sort it out. And, your upload speeds should go up to 764Kb.

Ok pings. (24/05/08)

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
      Is this good news (i.e. if I am lightly capped)?
      No, probably not.

You'd have to assume that you've been capped for a reason e.g. Sky found your line was generating errors so they reduced sync/boosted noise margin to deal with this.

Have you had occasion to call Sky about a connection/speed problem? This often triggers a cap. But, thinking about this a bit more UK Online is part of Easynet which is now Sky so that cap has probably been in place all the time. Same questions holds though i.e. why were you capped in the first place?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      No, probably not.

You'd have to assume that you've been capped for a reason e.g. Sky found your line was generating errors so they reduced sync/boosted noise margin to deal with this.

Have you had occasion to call Sky about a connection/speed problem? This often triggers a cap. But, thinking about this a bit more UK Online is part of Easynet which is now Sky so that cap has probably been in place all the time. Same questions holds though i.e. why were you capped in the first place?
      I will go through the troubleshoot as suggested by Shadow Ninja. My stats were literally taken about 10 minutes after connecting and I've never called Sky since being connected.

I was totally disconnected from broadband for about 5 weeks when moving from UK Online to Sky so I'd be very surprised if any capping data made it across, it was a complete cease and reconnect not a MAC code transition (they can't use MAC codes for UK Online -> Sky migration apparently). Suffice it to say that the transition was a nightmare; I never imagined that I'd get to the point of discussing the intricacies of robotic stop orders persisting in the OpenReach system as part of trying to resolve a total of 7 issues that arose during my transfer but I did (and various other things besides).

- Julian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12