Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wrong Package?

This is a discussion on Wrong Package? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; To cut a long and somewhat painful ordeal short this is a brief summary of my adventures through the not ...

Gareth_C is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackfriars
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wrong Package?

To cut a long and somewhat painful ordeal short this is a brief summary of my adventures through the not so wonderful world of Sky Technical Support during the past two nights:

Prologue:

Friday 7th March - BT finally install our home phone line after moving into a new address. Upon completion of the installation Sky are called and I hope to order the tinternet!

You see whilst waiting for BT to pluck fingers from holes, mucho research was done into the availablity of obtaining one of the LLU packages.

Success, after entering our potential new number the Sky website says all is okay, but the order must be completed promptly or availability will no longer be available. Not wanting to order the product before the BT engineer has finished the installation (in case of any hicups) I decided to wait and speak to somebody on the phone in the sales team.

Speaking to someone a mere 2 hours after the line was installed I was told by the resident twelve year old that LLU was not available on the exchange, after correcting him/her/it, I was then told that "Oh it is, but room is not there" I was then told I could be sent a router and activation date today and be placed on Sky connect (whilst being charged 30 for doing so) I was then told that it would be a matter of days before someone would call me to then confirm I was being placed onto Max.

Activation Date:

March the 19th comes and after much celebration my new shiny router is set-up (only after having to be collected from the depot as formentioned twelve year old decided to send it to the incorrect address) All seems good despite the lack of a phone call confirming I would be switched to Max.

30 Seconds Later...

What's this then? 288 kbps upstream and downstream? Surely that can't be right? Off I go into the depths of technical support somewhere East of Manilla. The delightful chap tells me not to worry, this is normal as with it being a refurbished BT line there is a test period where connectivity and speed can be somewhat strange. Remembering the letter Sky had sent me previously highlighting this and feeling rather foolish I offer my apologies and hang up.

1 Week Later
      Although still within the test period I mention my problems to the resident Cockney techie at work who tells me the man from Manilla is having a giraffe. 8pm I call Sky support and speak to Gavin from Dunfermline who having, followed the usual procedure the Tier 1 folk have to follow, tells me that he's unsure as to what the problem is and will speak to the chaps at CST. This takes 30 minutes or so before I'm placed through to Dave who tells me that I shouldn't be on Connect as the LLU is available - he explains that it isn't just a case of him flicking a switch to make it all better but its only something somebody in provisions (I always associated provisions with milk and butter?) can ammend. 30 minutes or so of further waiting I'm placed through to John (I'm not even sure John has a computer and I swear I hear someone mention in the background that John is not allowed sharp instruments or have his mittens removed from his hands) John proceeds to tell me that the call was a cold transfer and he has no idea what's going on. 15 minutes or so of explaining my predicament John explains that, infact, only the sales team can resolve this.

Cue Drum Roll:

Katie in the sales team then tells me the call was transferred coldly (this is after a 30 minute que) being quite agitated, with the voices screaming violent thoughts at me and my left eye beginning to twitch uncontrollably I asked to be placed through to cancellations. After speaking to Dave in cancellations he promises to send a "ticket" (I hope to god it was an email and not one of those paper things you used to get at an ASDA deli counter) to the CST to call back within 48 hours and resolve it. Happy with this I leave my adventures for the night, meditate and mentally prepare myself for the battle that lies ahead.

Tonight, Tonight:

Still no call back, no email and no apology I call techincal support again and within 5 minutes of being on the line a young lady identifies the problem and informs me that either Sky or BT have placed me on a BT package with a max downstream of 300kbps. Livid I again ask to speak to cancellations as this is all getting to be a bit of a run-around after almost 3 hours in total on the phone. Not wanting to speak to Rob in cancellations I ask to speak to his manager (Rob helpful as he was, could not and should not have to put with tirade of hate I was preparing to unleash. Rob regretfully informed me there was only 1 manager in at this time as it was ten to eleven so I vowed to resume the battle tomorrow.

Uncle Sam wants you!

Now this is why I'm here. I find myself in a bit of a corner for a number of different reasons:

Firstly - Why was I placed on Connect when Max is available (something everybody seems to agree with besides sales it seems)? Bethere seem to have no qualms in taking my business as long as I can obtain the mac code.

Secondly - Why was I placed on on a package with a downstream of 300kbps that is labelled as being 8mbps? Did I fall through a hole in the space time continuim and end up in 1997?

Thirdly - Why can nobody seem to resolve this problem for me there and then instead of being told I have to wait 72 hours for this "ticket" to find its way to CST for them to then call me back?

Fourthly - The million dollar question here - after spending a week on 300kbps, 30 on a connection fee I shouldn't have had to pay, 3 hours onto an 0870 number; what if anything should I be asking for the way of compensation?

Skyuser users, please help, advise and offer your support on what I need to do to resolve this? Has anyone encountered anything of the same level? Who do I contact at trading standards, Sky complaints, and OFCOM regarding my ordeal and lastly, who will purchase the publication rights to my story?

Many thanks,

Gaz

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Wrong Package?

the package you have been put on, as you know, is 288 up/down - and this is down to BT screwing up, not Sky...

however, once at CST (and assuming the agent knows about it) it can be regraded to ADSL Max (up to 8Mbps) and once the request has gone through should be done in a matter of days, usually 24hrs...

with regards to LLU availability, no idea - sales will say all sorts of things to get a sale it would seem...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      the package you have been put on, as you know, is 288 up/down - and this is down to BT screwing up, not Sky...
      I was advised that Sky could not point the finger at BT on this occassion as they did not know who was at fault.

however, once at CST (and assuming the agent knows about it) it can be regraded to ADSL Max (up to 8Mbps) and once the request has gone through should be done in a matter of days, usually 24hrs...
      Is Max not 16mb? I was orginally told 72 hour which sounded good enough, I've since been told it takes 72 hours for the ticket to reach CST and then it can take anywhere from 10 to 24 days. Not so good as that would mean I may potentially be spending another 4 weeks on what is essentially dial up.

with regards to LLU availability, no idea - sales will say all sorts of things to get a sale it would seem...
      Yes, that's how it seems to me. They'll walk on water to make you part with the cash but when it comes to any form of product support you quickly hit a brick wall.

Thanks

Max (as in LLU) is up to 16Mbps - if you've on Connect then it's up to 8Mps...

and it is down to BT getting it wrong..

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Max (as in LLU) is up to 16Mbps - if you've on Connect then it's up to 8Mps...
      As stated in the first post I should have had Max as it was available (as confirmed by CST) at the time of my order. However the sales advisor told me it was not (whether that's human error or not is irrelevant.)

and it is down to BT getting it wrong..
      BT's fault as to the package I was put on at the exchange then yes, however Sky are ultimatley responsible for ensuring that BT install Sky's refurbished product correctly and then sky are again responsible for highlighting what is wrong with it after 3 hours worth of phone calls.

Thanks

totally agree with you on the whole identifying wrong package issues - doesn't work that way though (don't ask me why as it's known that BT have been doing this a lot of late)

and CST are nothing to do with sales - they're tech support so they're not to blame for being told LLU is available or not...and just cause Max is available it might be over subscribed so you get put on Connect until more space is available...

Sky TV:
      Thanks

and CST are nothing to do with sales - they're tech support so they're not to blame for being told LLU is available or not...and just cause Max is available it might be over subscribed so you get put on Connect until more space is available...
      I think we've got wires crossed here. CST are the ones that told me I should be on a LLU package (during my first call it was them who highlighted that this was available when they were running tests on my line to identify why the speed was capped at 288kbps) they then passed me onto provisions who then confirmed the same so they passed onto sales to resolve. Upto that point I was happy enough to believe that the exchange was over subscribed, it was CST that told me this was not the case.

Thanks

CST can't tell if an exchange is over subscribed so don't know who told you that...only sales/provisioning can say that - CST are tech only so...they prob said 'Max' as in ADSL Max (Connect, up to 8Mbps) instead of the Home/Office 250 you're on at present...

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The reason you were put on Connect is because MRBLA is full, there may be the odd port available when someone leaves but there is no capacity to speak of for Sky (not business) customers.

The person who told you that you would be put on Connect then moved to Max in a matter of days (LLU) was talking rubbish.

What's also happened is that the Connect order has been messed up by BT who have provided you with a 250k connection instead of ADSL Max (BT) up to 8Mb.

Chances are that you are only being charged 5/mo anyway for this (rather than the 30 you suggest). So it's either go to a different ISP or stick it out, get Sky to sort out the 250k/8Mb issue (which is a simple order from the BT Team in Shepton) and at some point in the future when capacity is available you will be moved to LLU... 16Mb Max etc...

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
      Chances are that you are only being charged 5/mo anyway for this (rather than the 30 you suggest).
      Yes 5 p/m, the 30 I mentioned relates to the connection charge one has to pay when on Connect.