Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connection problems!!

This is a discussion on Connection problems!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hope someone can help. I am trying to assist my sister with her advent laptop (running on Vista). She was ...

paino1977 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01273
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection problems!!

hope someone can help.
      I am trying to assist my sister with her advent laptop (running on Vista). She was originally having problems with her Sky Broadband and connecting to the router (DG834T) wirelessly, but after working on it all day monday I finally sorted this out (using the ethernet cable and unticking a box on the 192.168.0.1 setup!). All was good again.
      I then went about setting up the free 12 months McAfee on her machine (I have deleted the Norton that was previously on the machine)only be told that Windows was incompatible with McAfee. I thought by downloading a Windows update may sort this out. I checked the updates and the only update left was Service Pack 1. I installed this fine.
      However this did not sort out the McAfee installation.
      As it was getting late, I took the computer back to my house and said I would sort it out there.
      However when getting home and turning the laptop on, although she can connect to my router just fine (also the DG834T) and it says there is an internet connection present and it does give me an IP address, I cannot access the internet at all (either wirelessly or Ethernet).
      I have my laptop on as well and that works just fine. I have tried all manner of things (the TCP settings and all that) but nothing seems to work. I have uninstalled service pack 1 to see if that was anything to do with it but nothing, I have uninstalled the partial McAfee that was on there thinking that may have been blocking it but also nothing. I am now out of options. Please someone help! It is driving me mental.
      I am now out of ideas!
      I too have Windows Vista on my Asus Laptop and I installed McAfee fine. I do not want to update to Service Pack 1 if this is what caused the above.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connection problems!!

I'll ignore the McAfee issue if I may because I would not use that program -- there are better products which do not require a subscription.

If the Advent laptop's wireless utility (or Windows) is displaying an IP address it should be in the 192.168.0.X range (X usually being 2, 3, 5, etc). If it is well outside that range you need to reboot the router in the Diagnostics section of the router's user interface (and perhaps the computer too) so that the router can negotiate a proper IP address for the laptop.

I would suggest you do troubleshooting with wireless security disabled.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

The wireless utility is showing 192.168.0.2, whilst my computer on at the same time shows 192.168.0.3 and that works just fine. I have rebooted the router and the computer but to no avail.

I have tried to use the troubleshooting tools but it tells me that it cannot give me any advice on how to fix it.

Its just really annoying as it tells me that it has a local and internet connection.....but something is stopping it!

I dont think its a security issue as its the same story when using the ethernet cable and the wireless device disabled.

Would a system restore help do you think?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

problem with McAfee is that you have the non-Vista version - only the CD with the V2 routers has the Vista compatible version...

you can get it from the Sky Security Center @ sky.com - but as said you can get free programs that aren't as resource hungry...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Once (and if!!) I get her laptop on line again, I think I will recommend she stay clear of McAfee then!

Thanks

there's nothing wrong with McAfee, it's just that there are free programs which are just as good available...

edit: and im running SP1 with NO issues whatsoever...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

McAffee, like Norton is sometimes difficult to uninstall and may have left something behind which is blocking you. There is a clean up tool available from McAffee, run this to ensure that all vestiges of McAffee are removed. HERE Try connecting again before you put on any security. There will be little danger in this if you stick to safe sites during the trial. After you have connected you can bring the security up to date. As you are running Vista you will know how to set it up for the internet, so I will not bore you with these details, except to confirm that Sp1 will not be causing this problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks, I will download the removal tool to my laptop and network the laptops tonight so I can run the tool. Lets hope that works.
      Any other suggestions in the meantime would be much appreciated though, so I dont have to hassle anyone else should that not work!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

And the results are in......and the winner is.....

Isitme!

I downloaded the McAfee tool as suggested and 3 mins later it was all sorted and my Sister's laptop was back online!

I thought I had removed all reminants of it using another tool but obviously not.

Phew!

Many thanks to all that have left comments to assist.

Thanks

i do find it funny people have issues with McAfee - until i recently switched (due to the fact it'd bloated beyond all belief) i had 7 years trouble free useage...

however, glad you're sorted...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast