Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

router DG834GT

This is a discussion on router DG834GT within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can anybody help a simpleton to get the DG834GT to work in my new Aldi 8833. I havnt got a ...

crosby37 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01239
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:

router DG834GT

Can anybody help a simpleton to get the DG834GT to work in my new Aldi 8833. I havnt got a clue. Would love to get on line on my new plaything.
      Using my old Time machine connected to new base unit with a Belkin switch.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      St Helens
      Blog Entries

Re: router DG834GT

I presume the Aldi 8833 is a PC?

On the back of the PC there should be a hole that the yellow cable which came with the Sky router will plug into.

All you should theoretically need to do is plug the router into the phone socket and then the yellow cable from the router plugs into the back of the Aldi 8833.

No need to use any CD that came with the router and it should hopefully just connect to the internet once you click on the Internet Explorer icon.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box

yeh the first posting sounded like somebody was trying to set up a wifi hotspot inside local aldi supermarket

but direct ethernet connection is the way to go and then if they want use setup cd to go wireless

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box

Looks like the ethernet port is to the side of the top pair of USB ports. More info here.

As advised, it is best to start with a wired connection before trying to set up wireless. To be honest, it's best to stay wired if possible but if wireless is needed you'll find plenty of info in the wireless forum on how to set it up. If you call Sky I doubt they'll help as you are not using their wireless dongle.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,587 Posts

You may be unlucky enough to have AOhell preinstalled on your PC. This is one of the little 'extras' included on recent UK Medions. If you have, remove it!!! I am not sure how this is done, but have a look in Start>Control Panel>Programs and features, see if it is listed there. If it is click Uninstall on the top bar.

When you have done that go to the Control Panel>Network and Sharing Centre and click the 'Customize' link in the top right pane. Select 'Private Network' click next and follow the wizard. Then check under Sharing and Discovery that at least Network Discovery is switched ON. The remainder of the items can be set later.

Now go to the Left pane and click 'Manage Network Connections' When the pane opens right click the Icon for your ethernet connection (it is probably labelled Intel) and highlight 'Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) Click the Properties button and on the next pane make sure that 'Obtain an IP address automatically' is selected, the same for DNS servers. Repeat this with the Wireless icon. Be careful when you highlight the protocols that you do not untick them by mistake. Click OK back to your Desktop.

Now plug the yellow cable into the ethernet port and one of the ports on the router and plug the other router cable into the phone socket, preferably the Master, power up the router and it should find the PC. Open a browser and you should be online.

EDIT. I meant to add, you will have a 90 day trial of Bullguard preinstalled, so do not install Mcaffee or any other AV for the time being.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.