Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Is my stupidly low speed a cap?

This is a discussion on Is my stupidly low speed a cap? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; CST = Customer Services ( support ? ) Team. I think the only and best way as reported by others ...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Is my stupidly low speed a cap?

CST = Customer Services ( support ? ) Team. I think the only and best way as reported by others on here is to go thro the normal rigmarole of ringing and selecting the broadband option. Once thro to T1 report your fault as a slow connection, be polite and go thru all the scripted checks they insist you do. Be persistent but polite and ask that they refer you to CST ( formerly known as T3 ). Late at night or early morning seems to be the best time to try.
      Good luck
      PS - just noticed your profile shows you are on max. If thats right you may want to review that as even when you get sorted you will never get the benefits of max dl wise, however if the upload and unlimited dl make it worth the extra 5 then leave it at max.
      Last edited by dholdi; 24-03-08 at 09:34 PM.

2. Advertisement
      GTom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah they asked if i wanted to be downgraded but i really need the unlimited bandwidth.
      I feel effy about phoning them back again, i pretty much did that and they didn't let me continue with any checks they just insisted it was because of my distance from the exchange. Any ideas?

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Keep at them - no disrespect to the guys on here but T1 ........... well you know. Try some polite threats about taking it further if they dont put you thru etc.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^
      Agreed! Tell them you have improved your wiring and know you line can support more. Insist that you are put through to a supervisor or manager or direct to the CST. If you still get nowhere, phone Customer Relations and tell them you are very unhappy with the treatment you are receiving from Support and you would be happy if they even try to improve your speed, instead of giving you the same scripted answer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ring them up and tell them that your speed is really low, if they start fobbing you off ask them to check your DSL avail speed and as long as that shows you should be getting better speeds then they should complete the TS for slow speed. If they start giving you rubbish just tell the T1 that you know your line was capped due to errors but you have sorted the line out now and need to TS for slow speed so that you can go through to CST to have the line re-graded.
      You won't get directly through to CST without going through troubleshooting unless you have an open ticket and the likelihood of talking to a manager/ supervisor is slim. If you get fobbed off again call CS and tell them you wish to raise a complaint, that will often get you through to tier 1 with a guarantee of full troubleshooting till you get to CST lol.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

check your DSL avail speed
      All very well on the face of it Paul, but as you and everyone here knows the 'avail' speed is often less than half of the speed eventually achieved, so this may not help the OP at all

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah, no doubt they will use the same speed checking things on the internet that i use, they all say 512kbps, which is exactly the speed i get right now, but unless something has been changed recently to make it impossible to regain my 3000kbps speed - its a lie.

I hate this, its just far too slow for even me and my brother trying to play online games at the same time without 500+ ping.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, just phoned back and got treated like a kid again.
      Im really bad about being "assertive" but i calmly told them that my line was capable of having 3000kbps and he keeps saying "some people live too far away, you cant always get the advertised speeds" like i DIDN'T know that already i mean its BASIC knowledge.
      The simple fact is, you guys said the stats from my line show i should be getting better speeds, ive HAD better speeds so unless they bloody downgraded something then there is no reason i can't get them speeds again.
      He also told me it may be because the exchange i use has gotten "more busy" i never realised that more people getting the internet meant a cap had to be put on mine?

I am ready to phone back later, when they will probably be less enthusiastic about shovelling this crap at me and put me through to a techie who can actually do something.

Arrr, thanks for putting up with this guys and helping me.

McGazza is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Heywood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hey would asking to be put through to a higher Tier help at all? Do sky let you do this out of interest?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To be fair the T1 guys don't really understand the technical side, they just give answers they have been trained to give that will probably solve the majority of problems a "less knowledgeable" user may come across (not plugging the phone line in, micro filters, etc).
      But my problem is not something they can help me with, i need to speak to a higher tier so they can remove the unnecessary speed cap on my line.
      So, it probably depends who you speak to as to if they will just put you thru to a higher teir who can actually do something.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast