Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem with Favorites

This is a discussion on Problem with Favorites within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I don't know if anyone else has had this problem as I can find very little info about it ...

gizmo001i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01502
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Problem with Favorites

Hi,
      I don't know if anyone else has had this problem as I can find very little info about it anywhere. It seems that since I installed the sky version of Internet explorer (ie it has the sky icon) my favorites are not working properly. All my favorites are showing and available. However, I find that with certain favorites, I need to click on them 3 or 4 or more times before they work which can be very frustrating. They do work in the end, but only after having to click on the favorite link a few times, then it works normally.Any suggestions or help will be very appreciated. Iam using ie7. I know that there are issues with this version and favorites, but they are normally concerning the disappearance of favorites or the complete inabillity to use them. As I say, I can use them, but they just tend to be erratic and iffy. I have tried using the normal version of ie7 (without the sky icon, just the normal e icon) and also tried re-installing ie7 and ie6 with no effect. This problem only started after installing the sky installation disk and explorer.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Problem with Favorites

If you had IE7 then the sky cd did nothing as it only updates IE if its not already IE7 running.

Thanks

Hiya Paul, I probably had ie6 before installing the sky cd, however, the icon for internet explorer changed from the normal e icon to the sky icon after installing the installation cd. The problem still exists whether the cd installed ie7 or not and any help in rectifying this will be very helpful. I'm not necessarily blaming sky for this if it is an ie7 problem, however, it is near impossible to find any form of reference to this problem in relation to ie7. The only info seems to be on the pay to register sites, which makes me wonder if they really have an answer or are just phishing for my membership.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

have you tried downloading the full IE7 installer from MS? The software on the cd is just an updater executable for IE and not thr full installer. Also are you running any skinning software at all as sometimes themes can impact the way a GUI works.
      I would try exporting the bookmarks and then create a new user within windows, log into that account and import the bookmars again to that IE profile and then see if its the same, if it is then something has broken big time, if its not the same issue then something on the account profile has corrupted or something installed is getting in the way.
      Must admit I use the google toolbar bookmark system and don't actually use my IE favourites list at all.

Thanks

I have tried the full install of ie7 but will give the new user option a go and see if that sorts it out. thanks for the advice. I'm not running any skinning softwareas I find it tends to slow windows down and muck up too many settings lol.
      Ian.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You don't need to use the CD so if you can try removing anything you installed of it. Your favourites are stored in your C > Documents & Settings > Your username > Favourites folder if you need to access them.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Why not give FireFox a try, you don't need to uninstall IE as both browsers work quite happily side by side. IE7 was a huge improvement on IE6 (it should have been as M$ stole ideas from all the successful browsers) but it still has some bugs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Lol, found out what the problem was and it had nothing to do with ie7.It's where the Sky CD made Sky Broadband the homepage. The Sky homepage takes so long to load that it was blocking the favorites from working. They would only work once the page fully loaded which could take up to a minute for some reason. So I have now gone back to the normal explorer without the CD plugin and used another homepage, problem sorted. Thanks for all the advice everyone gave though.
      Ian

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think you may have something else wrong. I have Sky.com as one of my home pages in IE7 and it loads instantly. Try using OpenDns servers, you might find things speed up a bit.

OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

No, I know everything else is OK as all other pages load straight away, so it must be something to do with the sky page or just my browser settings. i don't use that page anyway, so it doesn't really bother me. But thanks anyway.
      Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast