Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

incredibly slow 8 meg

This is a discussion on incredibly slow 8 meg within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yes it is a old double master, and the NTE-5 looks like a cable co master. When faced with this ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: incredibly slow 8 meg

Yes it is a old double master, and the NTE-5 looks like a cable co master.
      When faced with this the easy way out is to find where the BT cable comes in and put a NET-5 master on it, along with a filter faceplate and then redo the extensions as required. Why the cable goes to/ comes from the cable co master I cannot say.
      Adas, do you feel that you would be capable of redoing this lot yourself? If you do, then the first thing is to find the cable with your BT line on it.

2. Advertisement
      adas1023 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It appears to be an older type Master socket. However the box next to it looks like an NTE5 and there seems to be a wire coming from it into the double socketed box. I assume this is your old cable master, but why is there a wire coming out of it into your BT box? If this is connected to the cable circuit, it could cause all sorts of problems. It is possible of course that it is the BT supply, using the same duct but not connected to the cable circuit. You can only find this out by removing the front of the cable box and having a look. Maybe Brian can throw more light on the subject.
      no its not connected to the bt box, its only connected to an old fashioned ntl box thingy.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Yes it is a old double master, and the NTE-5 looks like a cable co master.
      When faced with this the easy way out is to find where the BT cable comes in and put a NET-5 master on it, along with a filter faceplate and then redo the extensions as required. Why the cable goes to/ comes from the cable co master I cannot say.
      Adas, do you feel that you would be capable of redoing this lot yourself? If you do, then the first thing is to find the cable with your BT line on it.
      well i have to be honest, its my parents house, im only 16. i probably could to it myself as im a bit of a handyman, but if i screw it up im seriously in trouble.

how hard is it?
      Last edited by Hornet; 27-03-08 at 09:07 PM. Reason: swearing

Thanks

Like everthing else, it's not a hard job if you know what you are doing. I would have a word you folks before you go any further. If you were to ****** it up they could end up with a big bill from BT.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Like everthing else, it's not a hard job if you know what you are doing. I would have a word you folks before you go any further. If you were to ****** it up they could end up with a big bill from BT.
      well my dad has agreed and said he would help, so i won't take the blame if it gets screwed up lol, is there a tutorial or does it come with instructions?

Thanks

Ok The first thing is to find out where you BT line comes in and to note the wires. I would think that it will be one of the cables connected to 2 and 5 of the double socket.
      You will need some IDC insertion tools (very cheap from a shop that sells extension sockets).
      When you have found the incomming line, connect this to 2 and 5 of the double socket. make sure all other wires at this socket are disconnected.
      You should now have a dial tone at the double socket, but all other telephone sockets in the home should be dead.
      You can now connect up the router and see what sort of speeds you get. (it should be much better

If you have any questions then please ask before you start.

I should have added, Please take a careful note of where any wires connect before you disconnect anything.
      Last edited by Brian69; 27-03-08 at 06:38 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adas1023 View Post
      well i have to be honest, its my parents house, im only 16. i probably could to it myself as im a bit of a handyman, but if i screw it up im seriously in trouble.

how hard is it?
      sorry for swearing, i thought if i put stars in it would be ok, wont happen again.
      ill take photo's to take note of what wires go where, anyways thanks a bunch for the info. when i have this socket will it be faster?

Thanks

It's hard to say what your speeds will be, but give it a go and see. Just be careful with the wires

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yay no need to unscrew anything!!! it was a problem with the microfilter! thanks for the help anyways you lot!!!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So what are your latest figures? As has been mentioned, you appear to be on Connect and not Mid, if you are your sync could take a few days to stabilize. Switch your router off for a few minutes each day to allow it to re-sync with the exchange and get the best speed it can negotiate. After a few days you should reach your stable sync speed and then you can just leave it running. If you are indeed on Mid, then this is not necessary.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast