Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Beware Cease & Reprovides as you call for MAC

This is a discussion on Beware Cease & Reprovides as you call for MAC within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I want to warn anyone who is with AOL or any other provider who want to simply get your MAc ...

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cool Beware Cease & Reprovides as you call for MAC

I want to warn anyone who is with AOL or any other provider who want to simply get your MAc to move from one provider to another.

I asked for a MAC from AOL 26th February. I did what most people do....I waited for 5 working days before I decided that I could no longer chew my nails.

I rang AOL who told me that instead of issuing a MAC the rep had cancelled me.

So I consigned myself to waiting til the cancellation had finally lifted the AOL marker from my line on 12th March. Leaving me free to move to SKY hopefully.

I rang SKY to order MAX Broadband on the 13th March. Sky said that there was a marker on my line.

I rang BT Wholesale (the peeps who control all non-LLU equipment at the BT exchanges) who told me something I couldn't believe...

BT Wholesale said that INDEED the AOL marker was removed on the 12th of March. But in the same breath the BT rep told me that AOL had put a new LLU service on my line. I asked had AOL ceased THEN reprovided. He said YES. There was a mass cease and reprovide done through AOL which included my phone number. So I wasnt the only one affected.

I got on the phone to AOL (not an easy thing). They denied they put an AOL LLU product on my line, but on my router I could see a change but it wasnt activated yet.

I was flumaxed as what to do next.

I rang BT Wholesale back. Off the record the rep talked me through how to get around it. He said FIRSTLY you got to get them to ADMIT there is an AOL LLU product on your line. And tell them you know it's there cos BT WHOLESALE says so!!!!

Secondly ask for a MAC (even though it's LLU) and make sure (in my instance) that the MAC has L.E.N.I at the start of it. NOT L.D.N.I. BT Wholesale could confirm for me that any MAC given is valid.

Went back to AOL. They still denied that they had ceased & reprovided my line. I asked them to check with their supervisers and check that a cease & reprovide was issued on 26th to a mass of customers. Which in turn prevented my MAc from going through. I'm aware of it and so is BT Wholesale.
      I said I wanted my MAC from this new service or I'm going to Ofcom.

He came back with a MAC over the phone. It started with L.E.N.I. So thank God it was valid and real. And ran with it to SKY. Who ALSO confirmed it was valid.

The lesson here...if you ever find you are cancelled five days after you ask for a MAC...make sure they HAVENT been in the process of migrating you to their LLU service. Just incase you think you're cancelled and go to order from another provider. Only to find they cant sign you up.

I know I've rambled here. But if I hadn't have used the ammo I got from here or BT I'd never have found out what was going on.

Thank you guys.
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

2. Advertisement
      steesh2302 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: VM 10Meg
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: VM V+ HD
      Thanks

Cool Re: Beware Cease & Reprovides as you call for MAC

I had fun last Aug/Sep when I finally got AOL to conceed and supply my MAC. After 5 days, nothing. I then rang, got the call centre waffle etc. To cut a long story short, and after being passed from pillar to post, they said my MAC had been emailed, but they had had 'problems' with the server, whatever. Got it over the phone, eventually.

Blood from stone

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Beware Cease & Reprovides as you call for MAC

As an add-on to this. If you claim your MAC you must make absolutely certain that you do not also place a cancellation order with the ISP you are leaving. If you do this an order will be placed on your BT line and Sky (or any other ISP for that matter) will not be able to place your order with BT. This is because BT can only accept one order on your line at any one time. The ISP that you are migrating to will have to sit it out and wait for the cancellation to complete. This means that you will have a period of no BB until the new ISP order can be fulfilled by BT.

The entire migration process is broken and OFCOM do not really know what to do about it.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Funny thing was the asian dude I asked for my MAC off of did ask me did I want the new AOL Wireless. I said firmly NO. I want my MAC.

He asked if i wanted to cease. i said firmly no. as it would affect me losing my broadband. To which he said I will send your MAC by email within 5 working days.

The only mention of cease was by the rep himself. Turns out something bigger was happening at AOL...they were doing a cease and reprovide including my phone number for a large group of people.

Yes Ofcom should know about the loss of the MAC during that episode. Plus the reprovidng of new product and denying it. then trying to get another MAc for the NEWER AOL product on my line.

I've since given THAT one to SKY. Yey!
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What AOL seem to have been doing coincidentally with your wish to leave them was performing what is called in the trade a "bulk migration". This is where the ISP is moving customers away from BT Connect kit to their own ADSL equipment following either an increase in their own DSLAM capacity or the introduction of their own new DSLAM into an exchange. AOL should have been aware of this and removed you from their list of customers to be migrated so.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Let me restate for the record that I never mentioned CEASING or cancelling.
      I was totally aware of NOT doing that while asking for my MAC.

But still it happened. I'm not excusing AOL. NEVER. But the mass cease and reprovide they issued 26th feb clashed with my request or caused the MAC to fail.

Either way it was sneaky.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Netgeezer...as ever someone else put into words what i was thinking much better than I did. Thanks.

I wanna make sure people know this can happen. And it can sometimes affect your ability to move provider.

If you are waiting for a marker to come off your line and free up your line...and something else is there according to BT Wholesale.

Chase it up. Be pushy...and get info from BT Wholesale. that's all I'm saying. Otherwise i'd still be here frustrated wondering what the hell happened.

Knowledge is power people. LOL