Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed reduction (2)

This is a discussion on Speed reduction (2) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Admin note: new thread created I'm signed up to the 16m MAX pacakage. But when I signed up, I was ...

HairyArse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Keighley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed reduction (2)

Admin note: new thread created

I'm signed up to the 16m MAX pacakage. But when I signed up, I was told that because of the distance I am from my local exchange (Keighley) I'd only be able to get 3mb. This was fine and I accepted because I needed the unlimited bandwidth.

Things were fine for about 6 months and we got our 3mb as promised however since shortly after Christmas I only just about now get 1mb.

My router stats are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1020 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.5 db 33.6 db
      Noise Margin 19.6 db 20.0 db

I have changed filters and I have connected the router directly into the main socket under the front panel on the NTE5 port. None of this makes any difference to any of the figures.

One interesting thing to note, if I run Sky's own online broadband tester it now tells me that my line is only capable of 1-1.5mb and not the 3 we had up until Christmas. Has something changed to make my line no longer suitable?

Is it possible to get ADSL2 from SKY I really need a fast connection for my job as I work from home and am on the internet all day uploading and downloading files - this gets tedious on a 1mb connection.
      Last edited by Saturday; 19-03-08 at 07:44 PM. Reason: New thread created

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Speed Reduction

you should really start you own thread rather than hijack another one but you've been heavily capped so give Sky a buzz and get them to remove the cap (assuming you've sorted wiring out your end)

and no, with your attenuation adsl2 won't be given to you - and don't even think of mentioning the fact you work from home as Sky is a consumer service - if you want fast and better uploads then pay for it with a business connection
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

HairyArse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Keighley
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How can you tell I've been heavily capped? I would love to be able to pay for a business connection but the fact is I didn't work from home when I signed up for the connection and am tied into a contract until August, so have little option but to stick with it right?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

im just making you aware that as Sky BB is a consumer service you'll get no sympathy from Sky if thing's don't work and you can't work from home...

as for how I know, read the other posts in this site (especially the 'sticky' threads) as they'll explain everything rather than me repeat it all now...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Speed reduction (2)

One interesting thing to note, if I run Sky's own online broadband tester it now tells me that my line is only capable of 1-1.5mb
      Can you remember what it was when you first applied? The Sky tester, like BTs, usually grossly under estimates the possible speed, sometimes by as much as 100%. I think this protects them from future claims if a line does not come up to standard

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HairyArse View Post
      That is why it looks like you are capped, it should be closer to 7-9 than 20.
      As it's 20 it infers you have room on the line for more speed.
      This could also be due to a wiring fault at your ens, and 1020 is an unusual speed for a cap.
      I would suggest trying your test socket, if the speed doesn't go any higher then contact Sky tech support.

Edit: I've just seen you decribe you have tried the test socket, contact Sky is all I can suggest.

Redman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HairyArse View Post
      Admin note: new thread created

I'm signed up to the 16m MAX pacakage. But when I signed up, I was told that because of the distance I am from my local exchange (Keighley) I'd only be able to get 3mb. This was fine and I accepted because I needed the unlimited bandwidth.

Things were fine for about 6 months and we got our 3mb as promised however since shortly after Christmas I only just about now get 1mb.

My router stats are as follows:

I have changed filters and I have connected the router directly into the main socket under the front panel on the NTE5 port. None of this makes any difference to any of the figures.

One interesting thing to note, if I run Sky's own online broadband tester it now tells me that my line is only capable of 1-1.5mb and not the 3 we had up until Christmas. Has something changed to make my line no longer suitable?

Is it possible to get ADSL2 from SKY I really need a fast connection for my job as I work from home and am on the internet all day uploading and downloading files - this gets tedious on a 1mb connection.
      Personally m8 I wouldn't listen to Sky's Tech Support, they'll tell you anything to get rid of you, they think everyone doesn't know enough to actually get anywhere with them. All the times I've spoken with them they have been very condescending.

Redman

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^
      Not very good advice, the only chance the OP has of getting uncapped is by talking to Sky Support. Tier 1 have laid down procedures to follow and not following them can get them fired. Don't blame the individuals, blame Sky's lack of training and procedures.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.