Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Reconciling router stats with independent speedchecker

This is a discussion on Reconciling router stats with independent speedchecker within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Had previous speed problems and capping associated with “internal wiring etc”. Have posted previously on these and am making ...

Longshanks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch Cardiff
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Reconciling router stats with independent speedchecker

Hi

Had previous speed problems and capping associated with “internal wiring etc”. Have posted previously on these and am making improvements. However, this is a variation on a theme hence the new thread.

When SKY uncapped me last Friday the router synced at 4096Mbps as opposed to the 2048 when capped. This has continued since then with router stats fluctuating between 3776 and 4096Mbps.

Throughout this time I have also used an independent speed checker which reflected download speeds in a very narrow range between 3.1 and 3.4Mbps. This is what I sort of expected in terms of the relationship between the router speed and the actual speed.

Yesterday the speed seemed to drop noticeably but the router stats still reflected 3776. However, when I checked the independent speed checker the speed had dropped to 1.5 and it stayed at this throughout the evening.

I know actual speeds will be subject to attenuation and SNR etc but these are already factored into the router stats aren’t they? The noise margin certainly reduced as predicted by SKY and I know this could lead to more drop out etc but the speed reduction is baffling me, especially when the router confirms higher download speeds.

Am I right in assuming that the router stats somehow only reflect the “capacity of the line etc etc etc”. If so why are folk placing so much emphasis on router stats and asked to post them here?

Can you help me reconcile these?

Many thanks

L

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Reconciling router stats with independent speedchecker

Quote Originally Posted by Longshanks View Post
      Am I right in assuming that the router stats somehow only reflect the “capacity of the line etc etc etc”. If so why are folk placing so much emphasis on router stats and asked to post them here?
      L
      Yes that assumption is sort of correct. The speed your router reports it is synced at is the actual speed that data can be transmitted at. It's not an approximation.

Why people place so much store by the router stats is because this gives you a true picture of your connection, unlike a speedtest result which will be influenced by any number of other factors such as server load, how you are connected to the router, the PC performance, other applications using up bandwidth etc.

With Sky LLU there has never been any evidence of traffic shaping or network congestion so if the router says it is synced at say 12meg then that's the speed you're getting (less TCP/IP overheads i.e. a throughput of ~9750kbps). If you're synced at that speed but only getting throughput of say 5000kbps then you know it is down to something other than the Sky network.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

Many thanks for this. Its interesting when you say that a big diff between syncing and throughput speed indicates issues "other than Sky network". This is where I get confused:

All other things being equal I have not used the bandwith, still have an almost new PC, and still have the same (albeit imperfect) set up with router plugged into an upstairs extension.

All these factors were in place on Friday when the speedchecker was refelcting speeds consistent with the router and then suddenly, last nite it halves.

Also you also seem to imply that "server load" is an external factor. Could it be that my actual speed declined considerably due to the SKY "server load"
      despite what you said about congesting etc with SKY LLU.

Cheers

L

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Longshanks View Post
      Also you also seem to imply that "server load" is an external factor. Could it be that my actual speed declined considerably due to the SKY "server load"
      despite what you said about congesting etc with SKY LLU.
      No - I mean the speedtest server load.

As I said there are any number of reasons for low throughput compared to sync. In order of likelihood:

• you are connecting wirelessly and have developed a poor quality connection (try wired)
      • you are using an overloaded test server (try Skyuser's)
      • your line has developed a fault (severe line noise) which is causing corrupt data which needs to be retransmitted
      • your TCP/IP settings are incorrect (run TCPOptimizer)
      • you have a "benign" app running using bandwidth (e.g. Sky Anytime, BBCi etc)
      • someone else is using your bandwidth (e.g. someone on the LAN or rarely a wireless hijack)
      • you have malware on your system (run an on-line checker such as f-secure or Panda)

That's pretty much it - the first two must account for 80% of similar problems reported.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I believe when he mentioned "server load" he means the load on the speedtest servers, ie how many people using them and the distance "where they are located".
      Your router sync speed is the speed the router has negotiated with the exchange when idle i.e. doing nothing with little or no data transfere. A common problem is the distance to the exchange and line errors. The more the connection is being worked with high data transfere the more likely errors will occur.
      To explain it basic terms if your router is synced at 10mb if 50% of the data arrives with errors and is corrupt the router will request that it is retransmitted, this could mean that you only see an actual transfere speed of 5 or 6mb because half the information you recieved was corrupt. This is my very basic understanding of what goe's on.
      Common causes of line errors are poor internal wiring, so being plugged into an extension isn't a good start. To find out what your line is capable of you should plug the router into the test socket behind your master socket face plate.

I hope that makes a bit of sense.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for these responses. I just found it confusing separating Router stats from other external factors when some of these are already reflected by the Router stats (e.g. internal wiring etc if the router is connected to an extension)

Thanks again

L