Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

New sky broadband user needs a little help please!!!

This is a discussion on New sky broadband user needs a little help please!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Dohhh, again i am embarassed, you have already posted this info and i did not look there is no reason ...

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: New sky broadband user needs a little help please!!!

Dohhh, again i am embarassed, you have already posted this info and i did not look

there is no reason why the sky connection would affect your computer (unless you had installed macafee by mistake, running 2 anti virus would slow you right down)
      as you have checked this already and removed all old BT stuff, my next suggestion would be to disable your norton completly (you can do this off line so as not to risk getting any nasty stuff from the web while testing) and see if your programmes are any faster
      also which system do you run (Xp / Vista) ?

2. Advertisement
      scouse007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

my system is windows XP....when i install sky, should it install drivers for the modem?? if so where would this be?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The router supplied by Sky does not require drivers, so don't worry about that.

I am unsure as to why your connection to the internet is showing as 400mbps. This is just not possible. I can only assume that there is a corruption in the drivers of your network card. It may be nothing to worry about, but to be on the safe side I would advise uninstalling the Network card and reinstalling it with the latest drivers. It could be, that this is in some way connected with your slow program loading, although I doubt it.

There are many reasons for slow program loading, lack of memory is the most common, but as it was OK previously, that should not be the problem here.

Next comes trojans or viruses present on your system. I would advise going to F-secure and doing an Online Virus Check. Even if you have Norton, which is in itself a resource hog, it is better to get a second opinion. Although modern virus protection will usually detect trojans, they don't always find them all. I would advise downloading and running a dedicated tool such as Trojan Hunter this is a fully working trial which will detect and remove almost all trojans.

Incorrectly configured Firewalls can also slow down a system. As your have a firewall built in to the router, it is not really necessary to run a software one, provided you are careful when you open emails or use removable drives from a source other than your own.

Can you confirm that you have removed all BT related items from your PC, including USB modem drivers, if you had one.

Please remember that if any trojans or viruses are found, you should turn off System Restore before trying to remove them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thank you very much for the information and time you have given me, i will try all the above you have mentioned.

where would i find the old modem drives, i have searched for them and nothing labelled BT modem....i dont want to unistalled any modems i might need!!

sorry i know nothing about computer hardware, so sorry if i sound a bit thick!!!

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The 400mbps one is probably a Firewire/1394/iLink network adaptor. The OP said they had ticked the 'Show on desktop' for two devices in their second post.

To be honest, the fact you've just changed to Sky from BT isn't likely to have any affect on your computer now taking ages to load up any application, especially as you say yourself, you haven't changed any security software etc...

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The 400mbps one is probably a Firewire/1394/iLink network adaptor

does need to be active or can this be delated....and how do i get to see my sky internet connection on my toolbar??

thank you in advance!!

Thanks

The 400mbps one is probably a Firewire/1394/iLink network adaptor
      Good thinking!!! I did not think about Firewire, as it is seldom used for networking. Easy to check, if the OP looks at his network connections again and if there is one called Firewire, 1394, or iLink, uncheck it as it is not being used. I am sorry I can't help with the other icon, which shows the actual connection speed. I have 3 PCs running XP at the moment and the only one showing the connection speed is the one connected by wireless. I can only assume that it was put there by the adapter software. Maybe it was installed by your previous BT software.

If you had a USB modem with BT it would probably be a Speedtouch, look in the Add/Remove list and if there is anything there relating to Speedtouch or Thomson, remove it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok thanks for your time and information...i had a bt voyager 2200.

Thanks

The bt voyager 2200 I think is capable of connecting by USB or ethernet, it would depend what you used to connect. Is it was USB, drivers would be installed. Ethernet would not require drivers, but knowing the amount of bloatware BT install, they may be installed anyway.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

it was linked up by the Ethernet cable...not the USB.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast