Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advice Please - Low Upload Speed

This is a discussion on Advice Please - Low Upload Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there Long time viewer - 1st time poster - Can any of you guys help me - I'm trying ...

ViperUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Advice Please - Low Upload Speed

Hi there

Long time viewer - 1st time poster -

Can any of you guys help me - I'm trying to help a mate fix his internet connection - He was hacked pretty badly but I've managed to clear all the malware/viruses and his PC is now clean, however am trying to get him back online - The PC is running fine apart from whenever he attempts to connect to the internet (either through IE or Firefox), the browser try's to connect to the page but then just returns a blank page - The router lights show he is connecting to the web but I've noticed that his upload speed only ever connects at 64Kbps - The download speed is fine (approx 3280Kbps) but it looks like his upload speed has been capped.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Advice Please - Low Upload Speed

what do his router stats show ?
      could be a line problem, try a test from the master socket / test socket

(not sure if thats the case, but worth a try)

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for replying -

He tried using the engineers socket (admittedly without me there) but had the same problem - he was using Sky without an issue for about a year before his problems started at the end of January.

Unfortunately I did not get a note of his detailed stats but I can probably get them and post them. From the basic stats through the router though, they all appear to be fine.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

if he has the V1 router maybe you could run the mognuts utlity on the router and use the test socket, post the stats after a few hours and some of the more experienced users may see something
      could also do a quiet line test and make sure there is no noise on the line (corded phone into the test socket, ring 17070 option 2)

it may be none of these things, but gets them out of the way if you need to phone sky

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ViperUK View Post
      The PC is running fine apart from whenever he attempts to connect to the internet (either through IE or Firefox), the browser try's to connect to the page but then just returns a blank page
      By "hacked pretty badly" I assume you mean he had a load of malware on his system?

If so then there's a good chance that the hosts file has been compromised and your browsers have been hijacked (which will be installing malware again). Rather than post here what to check, here's a link which should help.

That may not be it of course and there's always the chance you haven't actually cleared the malware. I'd strongly suggest running this. F-secure is certainly one of the best scanners and will find rootkits (which are very nasty) unlike many others. You should also run Spybot - Search & Destroy or AVG Anti-spyware (which is my preferred) too.

If it is none of the above and is actually a router sync problem (which the stats will show) then either Sky have capped it or a line fault has developed. If the former, and it was done because of malware activity then I'd have thought Sky Abuse would have been in touch. If the latter then for just the upstream to be affected is unusual but not unknown.
      Last edited by Saturday; 18-03-08 at 12:04 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Removing viruses and trojan can upset XP very badly, as well as following the advice already given, try downloading and running WinSockRepair this will replace any corrupted registry entries which may be effecting the connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your replies - I imagined that his upload speed was being capped and low and behold, when he contacted Sky, that was confirmed (although he didn't manage to get through to Tier 3 so did not have the cap removed immediately - they advised they would put the job through to be done) -

He had to go away for a couple of days so cannot check till Friday if his probs have been resolved, but I've got Mognuts utility ready incase.

Hacked pretty badly by some friendly neighbourhood Ukrainians so had to make sure that his cards/bank were not compromised -

Thanks again for helping - will let you know how he gets on.

V

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ViperUK View Post
      when he contacted Sky, that was confirmed (although he didn't manage to get through to Tier 3 so did not have the cap removed immediately - they advised they would put the job through to be done)
      Hang on a minute, I can't for the life of me think how Tier 1 can know there is a cap on someone's line. They can't see the settings in the exchange, only CST (old tier 2/3) can.
      I'm guessing Tier 1 saw a ticket that had notes from an auto-regrade which said the line had been regraded and assumed a cap.