Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help/Advice Needed

This is a discussion on Help/Advice Needed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Finally had to register, great site, learnt alot on here thanks to everyone. Anyway my problem is when connected to ...

harlowrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help/Advice Needed

Finally had to register, great site, learnt alot on here thanks to everyone.
      Anyway my problem is when connected to SkyBB I was getting speeds around1.8Mps (I'm on the max package) but my router would often lock up and had to be unplugged to connect again. This would happen maybe twice a day, not the every 10 minutes some people have been getting. Got through to tier 3 last Friday and they said they had cleared some noise off my line and see how it goes. Same problem over the weekend so got through again yesterday and now they have capped my line at 1024kbps. Although I haven't had the lock ups I would rather have them and more speed so phoned today and they won't take it off so now I'm stuck. Question one is can they do this? From what I have read on here is the router not supposed to sync automatically with the server at the highest stabe speed or have I got that wrong?
      My line stats are:-

Connection Speed 1024 kbps 320 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 11.3 db 13.0 db

My noise margin has been has high as 16.0 on the master telphone socket but my line attenuation was the same.
      According to "samknows" I am approx 3.81km from the exchange, does anyone have an idea what speed I should be able to acheive?

Sorry for the long first post, thanks for any help in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site harlowrog

you may want to go and read this post Router Freeze, Loss of Connection Possible Fix

Do you have filters on all your phone points in use?

It would also be a good idea to give SkyBB TS a call and talk it over with them as well
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

harlowrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes I have read that thread before and done some of what is on there, my router is connected by cables (not wireless) but my point is now they have capped my line to 1024kbps it will never be any better than this will it? i was getting 1.8Mps with occasional lock ups prior to this

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The reason I said read that post was due to upnp causing problems and other people could have also posted some other possible fixes to gel stop the router locking up.

As for your speed cap yes they can as you called SkyBB about your stability problems and that the only way they have to try and stabilise your connection, so the only thing I can think of that might help is to check and see if there is a wiring problem maybe from the pole outside assuming thats how you phone comes into the house.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here