Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Near-daily dropped connections with Sky Broadband Mid

This is a discussion on Near-daily dropped connections with Sky Broadband Mid within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Migrated to Sky BB about a month ago. Have been experiencing ADSL connection dropouts every day or two. Wifi and ...

mishad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01225
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:

Near-daily dropped connections with Sky Broadband Mid

Migrated to Sky BB about a month ago. Have been experiencing ADSL connection dropouts every day or two. Wifi and wired connections to the router are fine.

There seem to be two problems:

i) the Sky router keeps trying different (more aggressive) connection speeds (e.g. it will be working fine at say 2752 down / 384 up or so and then will try to connect at 3520 down / 160 up (and fail)

ii) once it gets a failure to disconnect, it keeps trying (status/logs show repeated attempts) but never seems to manage to reconnect (seems like it just keeps trying at the same too aggressive speeds). Rebooting the router normally allows it to reconnect.

Didn't get the problem with previous setups (Metronet then entanet, using cheap ebuyer/Safecom and DLink DSL300T ADSL1 modems) -- though I only got ~2Mbps down and 256 up on ADSL1, IIRC.

But I'd prefer a reliable 2Mbps (or 2.5Mpbs) rather than an unreliable variable 2.5-3.5Mbps.

Is there anything I can do to improve things? Any way to force the Sky router to cap its speed? Or to force it to ADSL1 "mode"?

Black "Sky HD-alike" DG934G, using Sky-supplied phone cable and microfilter, into master socket (no extensions connected). Sky router is left on permanently, and is stood "end on" to ensure good cooling/airflow.

Connection stats (from right now, when its obviously working, having recently been rebooted):

System Up Time: 00:32:31
      Port 	Status 	TxPkts 	RxPkts 	Collisions 	Tx B/s 	Rx B/s 	Up Time
      WAN 	PPPoA 	13835 	15872 	0 	1290 	7729 	00:30:53
      LAN 	100M/Full 	4519 	931 	0 	1019 	86 	00:32:27
      WLAN 	11M/54M 	16244 	17503 	0 	7313 	1717 	00:32:14
      ADSL Link 	Downstream 	Upstream
      Connection Speed 	3520 kbps 	160 kbps
      Line Attenuation 	59 db 	15.5 db
      Noise Margin 	7 db 	7 db
      UPnP is enabled (otherwise I get "NAT: moderate" on XBox Live).

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Near-daily dropped connections with Sky Broadband Mid

It could be a faulty router, but I doubt it. You could try asking Sky to cap you lightly, or take you off ADSL2+ if you are actually on that. With Mid you shouldn't be, but with Sky you never know

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.