Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No Connection

This is a discussion on No Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Got connected to Sky Max on Thursday at around 3pm. Went off at 6pm the same day and has never ...

Redman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

No Connection

Got connected to Sky Max on Thursday at around 3pm. Went off at 6pm the same day and has never come back on. I've reset the router, rebooted God knows how many times, spent hours on the phone with Sky support and no joy. I've disabled all firewalls, antivirus, even the passkey. I've connected with the LAN cable, wirelessly, router is connected straight to the test socket on the main BT socket and I still can't get online. Mozilla and IE 6 and 7 have all come up with the DNS error. I've reformatted the hdd, put on Xp with SP1 no connection, then added SP2 still no connection. Reformatted again and added Vista x64 Ultimate, guess what? Yip no connection. The router status on Friday showed I was connected at 128kbps down and 64kbps up, a little better than dial up but I still couldn't even check emails. Support said they'd try a few tests and the line came up after they rebooted the router at 4800kbps down with 192kbps up but I'm still unable to get any webpages up. They have said that it appears there maybe a fault (no **** Sherlock) but it's going to take them at least 3 to 5 days to get to it. I've requested my MAC Code and they've now said it'll take 5 days for that to come. Funny as I had my MAC from Enta within an hour, even crappy AOL managed within 2 days. So why do Sky think 5 days is sufficient? Anyway in the meantime is there anyway to check whether Sky's LLU in my exchange is playing up because they are telling me nothing? The exchange in question is Prestwick in Ayrshire, it was enabled on the 3rd March 2008.

Redman

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: No Connection

If the exchange was just enabled on 3/3, there is every chance that it is having teething troubles. Can you post the stats from your router? Someone may be able to give you an idea of what is going on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yes, you could also try using OpenDNS to resolve your DNS instead of Sky. It might just help things along as most people find them to be much better than Sky's DNS servers.

Redman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Ok I'm now back online as of 8am (18-03-08), the fault was or so I'm told a faulty card in the exchange, it took them 4 days to fix it and as far as I'm aware with the exchange just being enabled on the 03-03-08 there was only 2 of us on it. The other guy from what tech support told me was having the same problem.

Redman

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Glad your at least back on line. How are your speeds? Post your stats, do a speed check on SkyUserSpeedTest and someone will have a look. Very often, when you have problems, Sky stick a cap on your connection, hopefully they have not done so in your case.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.