Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection problem, can you help please?

This is a discussion on Connection problem, can you help please? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have only been active a couple of days, on the first day as soon as I saw all ...

BusyDee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection problem, can you help please?

Hi

I have only been active a couple of days, on the first day as soon as I saw all lights go green on the router I was able to connect, I could not believe how easy it was.

However, later in the day I was not able to connect; all lights were green and solid. Sky tech went from 'you are not active yet' to when pushed they reset the router and I got back online, that took 40 mins and was a dreadful experience.

Today, I went online and was able to receive emails BUT I was not able to see any web pages. I unplugged the router and waited 30 secs and replugged and rebooted my pc. This time I got nothing, had even lost the email connection. I have spent hours unplugging and rebooting and I have finally got online.

Is this normal, should I expect this, am I doing something wrong? How do you know if Sky are having problems?

I am using an Ethernet cable, could this be faulty? I do unplug the Ethernet cable from my laptop after I close down as I move the laptop to a more secure environment.

Sky tech had my poking the reset button on the router at one stage, if the router has got it's self in a tizzy is this something I can do, will it help?

Help is always appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Connection problem, can you help please?

Does your laptop have WiFi? If it does why not try that - if it's OK then you have a problem with your LAN (card or cable). If WiFi doesn't work either then the problem is elsewhere.

You can reset the Router yourself but usually unplugging and leaving for a few minutes is OK. Don't unplug and replug quickly, allow the Routers volatile memory to loose all it's settings.

The fact that it worked straight from the box (and continued to work for a few hours) suggest the basic set up is OK.

If you feel up to trying it you could open the Run command, type CMD and then enter:

ipconfig /all which will tell you about your connections (note the gap between g and /)

then try ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew which will release all your IP settings and then renew them.

Good luck!

xc runner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: northwich
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Where are you located, sky has been down today in the Manchester area

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xc runner View Post
      Where are you located, sky has been down today in the Manchester area
      MANCHESTER!!!!!!!

xc runner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: northwich
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah well, there you go then !!!
      I rang Sky at 7am, after reboots, resets and violence, Sky rang me back at 1000 to say there was an outage in the Manchester area, that clearly includes Northwich !!!
      Not sure whether it's back on yet as I'm currently at my parents house in Holmes Chapel !!!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Does your laptop have WiFi? If it does why not try that - if it's OK then you have a problem with your LAN (card or cable). If WiFi doesn't work either then the problem is elsewhere.

You can reset the Router yourself but usually unplugging and leaving for a few minutes is OK. Don't unplug and replug quickly, allow the Routers volatile memory to loose all it's settings.

The fact that it worked straight from the box (and continued to work for a few hours) suggest the basic set up is OK.

If you feel up to trying it you could open the Run command, type CMD and then enter:

ipconfig /all which will tell you about your connections (note the gap between g and /)

then try ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew which will release all your IP settings and then renew them.

Good luck!
      It does, I'm just not up to trying it, I will when I feel more confident.

It may be that as XC runner has said Sky has been down in the Manchester area.

How do you know this without a telephone call! There is nothing to see on the computer and all the lights on the modem were correct.

The tip about unplugging is very useful and I would certainly try the Run command.

For now, I am going to hold fire and hope that it was just Sky being down.

You have been most helpful, I am so glad people like you are around.

Well off now to post another problem on the email forum. Will I ever get it right

Ta much.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xc runner View Post
      Ah well, there you go then !!!
      I rang Sky at 7am, after reboots, resets and violence, Sky rang me back at 1000 to say there was an outage in the Manchester area, that clearly includes Northwich !!!
      Not sure whether it's back on yet as I'm currently at my parents house in Holmes Chapel !!!
      Hi

it seems to be OK now Holmes Chapel a stones throw away!

Thank you.