Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

AOL Adsl Marker still on line.....

This is a discussion on AOL Adsl Marker still on line..... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; AOL's equipment or marker was supposed to be removed on the 12th of March. According to AOL that is. Don't ...

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy AOL Adsl Marker still on line.....

AOL's equipment or marker was supposed to be removed on the 12th of March. According to AOL that is.

Don't worry I rand BT Wholesale to see if they could kick it off sooner. No chance (even if my broadband was ceased instead of the MAC code I wanted) but they did verify that the marker would be off by 12th.

It's now the 13th...and I rang SKY tonight to sign up for Sky Max B'Band. But they say there is adsl on my line. They said indeed the marker wasn't off yet.

What is the engineer at BT doing exactly? Picking his nose?
      Now Sky are doing a ring back on Sunday to give BT Wholesale 48 or so hours to remove the marker and then I can order Sky.

Has anyone had to wait beyond the original stated time for a marker to be removed from their phoneline?

2. Advertisement
      TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: AOL Adsl Marker still on line.....

Quote Originally Posted by mj_asylum View Post
      AOL's equipment or marker was supposed to be removed on the 12th of March. According to AOL that is.

Don't worry I rand BT Wholesale to see if they could kick it off sooner. No chance (even if my broadband was ceased instead of the MAC code I wanted) but they did verify that the marker would be off by 12th.

It's now the 13th...and I rang SKY tonight to sign up for Sky Max B'Band. But they say there is adsl on my line. They said indeed the marker wasn't off yet.

What is the engineer at BT doing exactly? Picking his nose?
      Now Sky are doing a ring back on Sunday to give BT Wholesale 48 or so hours to remove the marker and then I can order Sky.

Has anyone had to wait beyond the original stated time for a marker to be removed from their phoneline?
      As far as I'm aware, it wouldn't change over the weekend so its pointless doing a callback on Sunday. You can put your number into here: Sky Broadband to find out if that markers still there.

Sometimes these things take ages, sometimes other ISP's (including customers leaving sky) don't perform the cease correctly and it gets stuck...
      I am not posting officially on behalf of Sky. I am posting individual thoughts and advice.
      Sky Broadband Provisioning: 08705 515 515 - Option 1, Option 1, Option 3

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm in tears..

I had a gut felt notion last night to call BT Wholesale to double check that SKY was right, that there was a marker still on my line that was supposed to be off 12th. I've had no internet on it since 4th March.

So I call BT Wholesale who say: "There is a marker on your line."
      I tell them it was supposed to come off the 12th.

They say it did come off the 12th of March. But now there is a new marker for an AOL service on my line...AOL LLU product.

So let me get this straight. Not only did AOL cancel me when I asked blatantly for a MAC code. But now...when I waited all this time for their marker to go away to call SKY and order SKY Max Broadband. AOL have WITHOUT MY PERMISSION put a new broadband service on my line. No doubt the new AOL Wireless which has a new 18 month contract. Which I DID NOT ASK NOR CONSENT TO.

BT Wholesale (whom I called twice for a second opinion) said I should call Ofcom.

Meanwhile I called AOL Cancellations (as it's the only customer service of theirs that is NOT in Asia). Who told me I was cancelled.

I told them that I had guessed that cos I cant use AOL Member Services. My email account has two AOL Official YOU ARE NOW CANCELLED emails in it.

AOL denied it was them who are now on my line. They even suggeted it was Talk Talk STEALING my line.

I told them I had never communicated with Talk Talk EVER.
      I also said the only way Talk Talk could get my details is if AOL (Talk Talk's sister company through CPW) including my payment details is if AOL GAVE them to Talk Talk.

After that the irish rep from AOL hung up the phone on me.
      I rang BT Wholesale back to say AOL denied it ws their service on my line. But BT are convinced it's AOL and an AOL LLU service at that.

What does this possibly mean? That I'm stuck in an 18month contract I never indicated I wanted. I'm not seeing any of that product in my router. I connect with my router and there is no blinking green light. It's a continous green light.
      There doesn't seem to be internet there. If it does come on and I dont obviously want it...how can I cancel in the usual 10 days if AOL DENY they are the ADSL provider that is currently hogging my line.

Please I'm very upset. I've cancelled my direct debit with AOL...becuase they cocked up and cancelled me. So I cut my losses and waited for their b'band to switch off.

They even credited me with 14.99 they took for this month by accident.
      I'm writing a letter to the Head Of AOL Member Services. And Ofcom. Whom I'm going to call this morning.

I feel very trapped. What do you guys think has gone on here? It's very much illegal.

Ever that or sum ***** at BT Wholesale has misconstrewed that the old marker yet to come off is a new one.

So it physically seems AOL has cancelled me.
      But BT WHolesale are saying different.

And all I wanted to do lastnite was join SKY.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Talking Re: AOL Adsl Marker still on line.....

My MAC was never processed because AOL on 26th Feb (the same day I requested my MAC) has put my name amoung those they wanted to cancel and reprovision on their AOL LLU service.

It knocked my MAC request off.
      But now I've got a new AOL LLU on my line after they cancelled me!!!

I rang BT Wholesale who said...demand the MAC for this new LLU service.
      If they dont give you demand a LLU cease.

Since AOL originally denied the new LLU on ly line was their product i had to catch out the AOL rep and just straight ask for a NEW MAC.

I told them BT Wholsesale had made me aware of the mass cease & provide they did to a number of customers including those who were in the process of asking for a MAC.

After that they AOL got me my MAC.
      BT Wholesale had made me aware also (seeing as i'm in Northern Ireland) that my new MAC should have the letters LENI at the start.
      And if the MAC AOL was maybe gonna give me started LDNI (what the original MAC would've been) that they were fobbing me off. And it wouldn't work.

The MAC I got was the L.E.N.I code I was told to look out for and that it was a true MAC. I'm going to use it for SKY tonight. So I can migrate.

The MAC from AOL is unfornately a LLU MAC...and I'm moving to SKY LLU...lets hope it's a smooth takeover and there is no migration charge.

Can you imagine the trauma of not being able to prove it was AOL on my line after they cancelled me. You couldn't cancel. you'd get dodgy credit. The stopped direct debit would prevent the payment of the account etc. you'd be stuck in limbo!!!

Has anyone ever heard of a provider cancelling you and stopping your broadband and taking the marker off your line only to reprovide another product of theirs back on your line before you have the chance to do an old skool switch?

I began to think when they had sneakily cancelled me and reprovided that I'd have trouble leaving them cos the new product was now LLU.

I hope to ring SKY and get sorted tonight. I will report back with feedback.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Mj.
      AOL are sods for doing this, you are not alone it happens all the time. Just be careful because LLU to LLU migration is not normal free.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is a pity there are no lawyers doing a Broadband chasing service, like they do with ambulances. They could make a tidy sum, the way that TT and AOL, in particular, behave.

As Brian says, be careful or you could end up with a bill. A letter to Ofcom laying out the full facts of your case would do no harm.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hopefully everything will go smoothly now - unfortunately, you're not alone in this. I've seen lines hijacked by talk talk and other providers, and also seen strange cases where all of sky's systems indicate that we are not on the line, but a call to BT reveals we are. If they could give you the mac code, then that a good sign though
      I am not posting officially on behalf of Sky. I am posting individual thoughts and advice.
      Sky Broadband Provisioning: 08705 515 515 - Option 1, Option 1, Option 3

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey folks.

After BT Wholesale's off the record tutorial for how to obtain a legal MAC from AOL. Looking out for the right four letters that start a MAC...making sure I can get AOL to admit they are on my line first of all. I told AOL I knew of their **** up and that I wanted the LLU MAC.

AOL admitted they ceased and reprovided lots of people in one group one the day I orginally applied for my MAC.But SKY took the LLU MAC okay and set me up on SKY MAX. Now all I've to do is wait for my letter of activation and router etc.

Both BT Wholesale and SKY verified that the MAC I was given was real and valid.
      So seeing as the reprovided service was LLU...I did fear that the migration would prove costly or awkward. It didn't cost anything. If it hadn't have worked I'd have done a LLU cease. Meanwhile I will check out my bank account to see any activity from AOL just incase they were going to continue to charge me. Also make sure this 2nd new service is classified as cancelled. Playing it by ear. ^_^

So hopefully in 15 days max I'll be online. Not capped (at least at 0.5megs LOL)...and reporting back here with my stats.

Any titbits I've learned from you guys has been invaluable.
      I will very much continue to return here daily.