Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky BB 4.5Km from exchange

This is a discussion on Sky BB 4.5Km from exchange within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello folks! Well I am going to be moving soon from central Edinburgh where I am now used to a ...

Forthpalm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wisbech
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky BB 4.5Km from exchange

Hello folks!

Well I am going to be moving soon from central Edinburgh where I am now used to a steady 16Mbps + (not complaining) connection with Sky BB down to just outside of Wisbech in Cambs (don't ask - not wanting to move but needs must).

Anyway..

The Wisbech exchange is enabled for Sky LLU and my phone check on the sky site says that since I am going to be so far away from the exchange (4.5Km) I should be able to get Sky BB but at about 0.5Mbps

I presume that BT wholesale provides this info to Sky and my question is this - is there any likelyhood that with Sky having enabled the exchange I may get more than 0.5Mbps or will I just have to hope and wait until I get into the new house and check the Line Attenuation and Noise Margin to see what the line can cope with.

I was just wondering if an enabled LLU exchange provides a better download speed service to long distance houses than standard ADSL max etc?

Any info would be apprecaited.

Andy

2. Advertisement
      Speccy 48 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Sky BB 4.5Km from exchange

Hi Forthpalm,

I'm a similar distance away from the exchange as you're going to be (4.3km - Attenuation 60db). When i signed up to Sky BB it said I would only get 0.5mbps.
      I only got 576kbps when on BT & switched to Sky BB a month ago & get around 2368kbps on down & 768kbps on up.

Hope this give you a bit more heart that you should get more than the paltry 05.mbps, but obviously not as good as the 16mbps you were used to.

Forthpalm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wisbech
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky BB 4.5Km from exchange

Hello my friend!

You have made a pretty miserable Scotsman a happy wee chappy

I have been "doing" pc's since the days when my modem reached a whopping 2400baud (i.e well before MS Windows, when I used to run a BBS).

The thought of dropping from 16Mbps to under 0.5Mbps was depressing to say the least.

If i get anywhere near even 2Mbps I will be delighted!

Bad enough the stress of moving over 300 miles let alone be left with something not much better than dial up.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Speccy 48 View Post
      Hi Forthpalm,

I'm a similar distance away from the exchange as you're going to be (4.3km - Attenuation 60db). When i signed up to Sky BB it said I would only get 0.5mbps.
      I only got 576kbps when on BT & switched to Sky BB a month ago & get around 2368kbps on down & 768kbps on up.

Hope this give you a bit more heart that you should get more than the paltry 05.mbps, but obviously not as good as the 16mbps you were used to.