Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Migrated from Virgin to Sky Max

This is a discussion on Migrated from Virgin to Sky Max within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, i've just gone onto Sky Max and whilst the download speed seems better than I was getting with ...

jamesholden is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Migrated from Virgin to Sky Max

Hi all, i've just gone onto Sky Max and whilst the download speed seems better than I was getting with Virgin, i'm now getting around 6.9mb according to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test, I noticed in the Router Stats the following :-

Connection Speed - Downstream 8160 kbps, Upstream 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation - Downstream 19db, Upstream 4.5db
      Noise Margin - Downstream 12db, Upstream 14db

Since i'm on the 16mb Max package shouldn't the downstream be higher than 8160 kbps?

Thanks for your help.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Migrated from Virgin to Sky Max

Your downstream will be whatever your line conditions/ distance from exchange/ equipment can handle. how many telephone sockets in your property are in use?

jamesholden is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi thanks for the reply,

Other than the router only a telephone and the Sky+ box are connected, however I have tried with all of these disconnected and only the router connected into the master socket and the information given is exactly the same.

According to sam knows the exchange is 0.8km away.
      Last edited by jamesholden; 13-03-08 at 03:54 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

With an attenuation of 19 dbs you should do much better. You have been put on G.DMT instead of ADSL2+.

First plug in to the Test socket, which is behind the faceplate of your Master socket. Have a look at the stats. Your connection speed will not increase but you may see an increase in the Noise Margin. If you do you will have to do some work on your wiring. Remember that everything plugged in to the phone line must run through a filter. This includes digiboxes.

Either way it may be worth phoning Sky and ask them to put you on ADSL2+, as your attenuation would seem to support it. Be careful what you say, as one of Sky's favourite tricks is to cap anyone who complains about slow speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Aye when you call up tell the T1 agent you have a very slow connection and don't seem to be on the correct settings/ package, they will check what you have been "advised of" on your DSL avail check and then see what your router is stating, if the router is saying a lot lower they will troubleshoot the issue then pass to CST. CST will then look into your stats etc.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

A good suggestion Paul, but considering the 'advised speed' given by the BT tester is usually at least 50% of the actual, it might not help. I think this happens quite a lot, T1 look at the 'advised speed' and say 'tough, according to our figures you can't get any more', so are unwilling, or unable due to their instructions, to do anything more.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

We go by the information given and have no other way of seeing speed capabilities of the line, if the DSL avail information is so badly out of whack then the problem needs raising to the powers that be as we cannot do anything about it from our end.