Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connect Download limit.

This is a discussion on Connect Download limit. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, Time for another vent! If you dont want to read my vent skip to the bold text for ...

Brin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aintree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connect Download limit.

Hi All,

Time for another vent!
      If you dont want to read my vent skip to the bold text for my question

I have just hung up after speaking to another very helpfull person on the help desk.

I was after finding out when I will be put onto Sky Max... I was told in December that it was availible in my area. (After a while waiting for my BT line to be activated I was put onto Connect on the 26thfeb. ) I was then told it is availible in my area, but not to me because the exchange is full, and it is upto BT give sky more space. And that this will happen in the next few weeks. So after waiting 3 months from when sky originally told me it will be availible I decided to give them a call back. (The 3 month delay wasn't sky's fault)

Today I have been told that I am on the computer waiting to be switched to Max, and this will happen automatically. However, they could not tell me when, or even give me a general idea of how long it might take. She also couldnt tell me how long the queue is as its on a first come first serve basis of who is switched first. So ok, I can accept that this part is outside of Sky's control.

So I then asked what happens when I go over my download limit of 40gig? And I was told... I dont know. I think you will not be able to download any more!

This is basically what I expected, but is it true? will I get a reduced speed 50k or will I be charged more for exceeding the agreed limit? Or will it be overlooked as I am waiting and actually willing to pay for a faster unlimited service?

Thanks

Brin

2. Advertisement
      billbhellend is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connect Download limit.

from my experience being on connect when i wasnt offline because of an outage i used to download quite abit over 40 gig no comebacks but that was a year ago now

im sure sky wont complain if you downloaded 50 gig i think its only if you take the biscuit somewhere on here i read people downloading over 100gb on connect ( dont quote me on that 100gb)

i personally wouldnt worry im sure other connect users will let you know the real deal these days

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

There has been no known case of anything happening to people going over the limits. Just don't abuse it and take others Bandwidth by downloading 100s of GB's.

The official stance is 40GB and Sky will not commit to confirming that you can go over the limits.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Also I belive that they will not punish you if you do go over and most of your downloading is "off peak" ie from 5pm to 10 pm at night is "peak" anything outside of those times is more tolerated.

When I was on BT and they had the 40 gig limit BT only seemed to get the hump if you consistantly went over 100 gig 2+ months in a row, (from other users experiences not mine) and I never got a narkly letter even though I went over 40 gigs repeatedly.

Of course you are still on a BT product and so expect traffic shaping and bandwith throttling if you do a lot of downloading in those peak times.
      Last edited by Undecided Adrian; 12-03-08 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replys.
      I am limiting my internet habits! I wont be downloading any HD movies over Xbox live anyway at least until I get the faster connection.

I will count myself lucky as the line seems pretty stable now the first 10 days are over...

Connection Speed 6656 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19 db 4 db
      Noise Margin 15 db 27 db

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

With your attenuation you should be getting the maximum speed. You may find that your line is not yet fully trained. Have you been powering off and on to make a new sync with the exchange? This should be done daily for the first 10 days, if you have not been, try powering off for a few minutes and then on again for the next 2 or 3 days. You may find that once is enough to raise your sync speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again Isitme.

I will give it a go.

sheriffdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: inverness
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cool Re: Connect Download limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
      Hi All,

Time for another vent!
      If you dont want to read my vent skip to the bold text for my question

I have just hung up after speaking to another very helpfull person on the help desk.

I was after finding out when I will be put onto Sky Max... I was told in December that it was availible in my area. (After a while waiting for my BT line to be activated I was put onto Connect on the 26thfeb. ) I was then told it is availible in my area, but not to me because the exchange is full, and it is upto BT give sky more space. And that this will happen in the next few weeks. So after waiting 3 months from when sky originally told me it will be availible I decided to give them a call back. (The 3 month delay wasn't sky's fault)

Today I have been told that I am on the computer waiting to be switched to Max, and this will happen automatically. However, they could not tell me when, or even give me a general idea of how long it might take. She also couldnt tell me how long the queue is as its on a first come first serve basis of who is switched first. So ok, I can accept that this part is outside of Sky's control.

So I then asked what happens when I go over my download limit of 40gig? And I was told... I dont know. I think you will not be able to download any more!

This is basically what I expected, but is it true? will I get a reduced speed 50k or will I be charged more for exceeding the agreed limit? Or will it be overlooked as I am waiting and actually willing to pay for a faster unlimited service?

Thanks

Brin
      hi sheriffdude here ..just to let you no they will cap ur line if you go over 40 gig
      as i have just found out after 2 days at 54 mins a time on the phone changing cables taking of wall sockets you name it ..i found out they were resetting my profile ..when i asked the frendly female the only 1 who had made any sence in 2 days yes they had capped my line ..i was down to just over 1 meg ..when reset back up 2 ..5 to 6 ...and i wouldent say i use a lot i do play cod5 on line a lot and the wife web cams freind ....but what gets me why they could not just tell me this rather take 2 days of my time shocking ...would be better to email u and tell you ur close to the 40 gig ...and thats while i am paying 17 ..while some lucky 1ns are paying 5 pound ...well that feels better ...so just so you know you will be capped ..but i have been told it will not hinder your browser ....not true could not watch the gadget show ...and as for there router ..useless have went through 4 of then so i now use my trusty belkin ..just flash you sky router for codes ...and runs far better ,,,

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Why not use something like a netmonitor to check the amount you have downloaded?

I am in the same boat as you and have found that the little tool helps.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is nothing in the T & Cs about reducing your speed for going over your download limit. You are supposed to be informed 2 or 3 times before any action at all is taken. What you can be reduced for is excessive downloading in peak times. This only applies to bandwidth hungry applications like torrents and P2P, it should not make any difference to anything else. If you are not using these, then I think you have been fobbed off.
      Apart from this gaming would not use much more than 10Gb, playing 10 hours a day every day for a month, but could be a lot more if you are downloading large demos.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.