Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Activation Help please

This is a discussion on New Activation Help please within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Good afternoon Today was the day to get connection to Sky BB , I happened to see the router go ...

BusyDee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New Activation Help please

Good afternoon

Today was the day to get connection to Sky BB, I happened to see the router go green and was able to get online this morning. Could it be this easy? Of course not.

Went back online later and was not able to establish a link. A 40 min 'phone call to Sky's tech help and I am back online.

However, the router internet light is flashing green all the time and I have no confidence that if I shut down that I will remain connected.

I have not set up a wifi connection yet.

Also, I have a password for Sky Broadband which I am supposed to use the first time I go online, where do I use it.

It is also very strange for me to connect to the Internet without clicking an icon, how do you know if you have a connection other than the router lights.

Help is always appreciated.
      Last edited by richone54; 12-03-08 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added space between good & afternoon :)

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: New Activation Help please

For the first 72 hours you may see some intermittancy on the connection, this is a 3 day grace period. If you are in your main socket and all filters in place where needed you should find the connection stabilises pretty quickly. As long as the "internet" light is lit on the router you should have connectivity to the internet if connecting via the yellow ethernet cable and the password is to log in to sky.com so you can set your profile up and gain access to the email and tools system.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BusyDee View Post
      However, the router internet light is flashing green all the time .

It is also very strange for me to connect to the Internet without clicking an icon

afaik, the flashing green light is data being transfered between router and PC

with the connection, the router stays connected all the time, only thing you should have to click would be the browser you want to use on your desktop
      Last edited by richone54; 12-03-08 at 05:47 PM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hiya

Many, many thanks for your reply.

I am so upset, I could not understand the woman from Sky tech and she said her system was running slow and kept me waiting and waiting, it was horrible, just horrible. She said it was not active, even though I told her I had been online earlier and only because I insisted did she do some stuff and have me reset the router.

I am using my main socket and I have filters on all sockets, I did have bb before.

I am connected by the Ethernet cable; I have not got the courage just yet to go to wifi.

However, I do have to sort out my emails, I want them to download to my pc so I know I have to do something with pop, I have the instructions from this site and when I am calmer I will try to sort it out.

<the password is to log in to sky.com so you can set your profile up and gain access to the email and tools system.>

Is this My Sky? I have done that, perhaps I am ahead of myself and changed the password - oh dear. I thought the password was an activating password for bb.

The internet light on the router is going fifty to the dozen.

I need a cuppa, my nerves are shot

Sky TV:
      Thanks

[QUOTE=richone54;134867]
      Quote Originally Posted by BusyDee View Post
      However, the router internet light is flashing green all the time and I have no confidence that if I shut down that I will remain connected.

It is also very strange for me to connect to the Internet without clicking an icon, how do you know if you have a connection other than the router lights.

QUOTE]

afaik, the flashing green light is data being transfered between router and PC

with the connection, the router stays connected all the time, only thing you should have to click would be the browser you want to use on your desktop
      Hiya

Thanks for your reply.

No not the data light I know that should flash when in use, it is the Internet light, which the leaflet says should be solid green; indeed it was this morning now it is blinking rapidly.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi all

I have Outlook 2000 and the set up instructions to enable POP is for Outlook 2003 will the instructions still apply?

I always appreciate help.

Thanks

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

internet light will flicker, its sending/receiving info from the net so thats totally normal - its only when it goes amber do u not have connection...

as for email, go to Sky.com and click 'Sky Help Centre' at the top and you can find all the email settings there...OR in the email section of this forums
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket