Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Timing out? And slow. Generally not working

This is a discussion on Timing out? And slow. Generally not working within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, please help. Sky technical support is useless and this is my only hope I recently got the Sky Maximum ...

alabama619 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:

Timing out? And slow. Generally not working

Hi, please help. Sky technical support is useless and this is my only hope

I recently got the Sky Maximum package when I moved house, and its been appalling. Before moving, I was on 20mb+ Virgin Media broadband (optical fibres) and it was fantastic, now however, Virgin do not supply Internet to my area so I had to go with Sky ADSL.

Its rubbish! And the support people on the phone are monkeys! Every time I phone up, they say they cannot help and that it must be a problem with the websites I am visiting, which is obviously not the problem, as they worked at my old house and are popular websites which hundreds of people visit every minute.

I am signed up to have around 6mb broadband, however when It occasionally works it downloads from the fastest sites (on which I used to get 2000kb/s) it downloads at around 20kb/s. General page loading times etc are also dial -up speed slow.

But the main problem is that I think it starts buffering or rendering or downloading something, and then after a few seconds, just stops. When a youtube video buffers, it buffers a bit of it (it varies, usually less than half) and then just stops. I can leave it for hours, refresh the page, reload the browser, it doesnt help. I have to manually drag the progress slider past where its stopped buffering and it will buffer a few more seconds from there.
      When downloading, It will download a bit, say, 25mb, and just stop. The speed goes to 0kb/s and wont start again. Restarting the download does the same thing, as does trying the same file from different websites/mirrors. I cant download ANYTHING.
      When using MSN, 60% of my messages wont send. It doesnt come back with an "The following mesages couldnt be sent" or anything, the person on the other end just doesnt receive them. Likewise I often cannot recieve messages sent to me. Its ridiculous. Windows Vista network centre says there are no problems with my router or anything.

From a VERY frustrated and angry customer, Thanks

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV

Re: Timing out? And slow. Generally not working

is it wireless? are you in the master socket? have you tried your test socket? can you post router stats?

SO many variables and you've barely mentioned anything regarding setup...although I'd say you're having DNS issues

and we're not Monkeys so please don't insult us...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

You could also try using OpenDNS Sky servers are not too reliable and many have found a big improvement with them.

Also remember that your previous supplier used a technology that did not rely on very old phone wires. There is just no way that you can compare them.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box

I moved from Virgin 4Mbps cable at 25 per month to Sky Max up to 16Mb at 10 per month and initially had similar problems to yours. Intermittent disconnections, variable speeds and dubious reliability until I did a little work on my telephone wiring.

With Virgin I used to get wildly fluctuating speeds (contention), but now with Sky I can Speedtest at any time of day or night and more or less guarantee a download speed of ~10,700 kbps.

A high % of members of this forum have problems caused by internal telephone wiring which are in most cases fixable. Start at your BT master socket and look how many extensions you have, and how they are wired. Every one is a potential interference aerial. Check that the phone line is completely silent after dialling 17070 option 2 with just a corded phone plugged into the master socket and nothing else.

The copper PSTN network may be donkeys years old but it does still work!

A little investment in this area should sort out the problem which no ISP's customer service call centre are likely to be able to do.