Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Revised Router stats as requested

This is a discussion on Revised Router stats as requested within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Removal of the ring wire on terminal 3 is a good idea anyway, as it serves no useful purpose and ...

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Revised Router stats as requested

Removal of the ring wire on terminal 3 is a good idea anyway, as it serves no useful purpose and is a frequent source of broadband noise. If you then try the router again in the extension socket without the ring wire connected, the noise margin may well increase further which is what you are looking for.

Using the test socket with a long extension lead is not likely to be much different than using the wired extension as the ring wire is probably wired in the extension lead as well.

The higher you can get the noise margin the better before you call Sky. Once they remove the cap your speed will increase to whatever the router can negotiate with a noise margin around 7 db.

2. Advertisement
      Longshanks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch Cardiff
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again Eyemdee. Appreciate your time here.

1. Will remove terminal 3 as suggested (assume you mean Master and extension socket). Can you confirm that this will not terminate our connection with BT else er indoors will never forgive me!

2. Sorry about this but there's another possible complication which I completely forgot about. When we moved in 10 years ago there was an extension (wired in by BT) which ran from the master socket on the window sill back outside and up the wall into the main bedroom. The cable in the bedroom was in such a mess that I cut it and replaced it with a bog standard internal DIY extension kit. However, 10 years on it occurs that the wiring in the Master socket still has the original extension bit (in fact the wire is still on the outside wall and disappears under the bedroom window sill where it terminates!!). Could this be increasing noise and slowing everything down?

3. There are 4 cables going into the face plate in the MS. They are coloured blue with yellow flash. yellow with blue flash, yelllow with blue flash and blue with yellow flash. Does this sound normal for a house built in 1980? Does it reflect the internal extension wiring I refer to in 2?

Thanks again

L

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Londshanks.
      In order to help you as much as I can, there are a couple of things you are going to have to do.
      (1) Remove the facplate of your master socket to expose the test socket.
      (2) Check that all other sockets in your home are now dead (no dial tone) and that only the test socket now works.
      (3) Move your router to the master socket and connect to the test socket using a filter. Connect a phone to the phone socket of the same filter.
      (4) At this point you may need to move your PC so that you can connect it to the router, but if you use wireless you may be o.k.
      (5) Now check the sync speed and noise margin. If your line is capped, you may not see an increase in speed, but you should see an increase in noise margin. If your line is not capped, then you should see the best speed your router can get with a noise margin of around 7db.
      You now know the best speed your line can support,
      so you can attend to your own wiring if the speed is greater than you would normaily see.

You only need to remove the ring line at the master socket (it connects to 3 on the faceplate) This may well be all that is required, but if the sync speed is still lower than you get at the test socket you will have to look further at your wiring.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just to confirm that removing the ring wire will not effect the phone in any way. If the extension you have is the plug in type and from your description it looks like it may be, you can remove all the wires from the faceplate as these will be the old extension, now cut off. It is unlikely that these are causing problems if the cut end is properly terminated.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

Many thanks for this crystal clear and helpful reply. This is my fault cos I foolishly created a second thread.

1. I have already done what you advise with one exception. I did not connect a phone to the filter. Does that make a difference? If not the router stats from the extension and master sockets are as follows:

If it makes a difference I will carry the PC downstairs again and do my back in (not sure if I have wireless?).

The consensus was that the increase in NM was only 1 db and this suggests that the wiring is not a significant factor in the slow speed. The problem is that the cap (see below) means that I have to guess potential speed increases by somehow using the master socket.

2. I am 99.999999999999999% certain I am capped. Router stats always show download at 2048Mbps and independent speed checkers reflect 1.6/1.7 as the actual which is what you would expect.

3. All other things being equal do you see any virtue in the XTE 2005 etc in my case?

4. Do you think the old extension referred to represents a problem?

It may be that I just remove the ring line, ask SKY to uncap and keep my fingers crossed!

Many thanks for your time once again.

L

Thanks

Remove your face plate and plug your extension into the test socket, if your NM is still in the 16/17 dbs region, phone Sky and tell them you have made improvements to your wiring and would like your cap lifted. Getting past Tier 1 is likely to be your biggest problem.

Don't worry about an XTE faceplate at this point, see what happens with the uncapping first.

Keep your fingers crossed and good luck

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi L.
      Yes, like you, I hope that the ring wire will do the trick. If you have already done much of this, then save your back!.
      One think is certain, if you were to get a filter faceplate, and if you could move the router to the master, then this provides the best connection and will provide the best speeds which your line can support. It will also increase stabilty which will enable Sky to remove the speed cap.
      Connecting the router to your PC upstairs could be done with cable or mains network device.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again.

Last query I promise before ringing SKY!

When you say "tell them you have improved your wiring":

Does the fact that there is only a negligible increase in NM when using the MS mean that wiring is not responsible for slow connection speeds?

Can you also explain the reference to going "beyond tier 2".

If I do nowt else but remove connection 3 and the cap still remains would you expect the NM to increase still using the extension socket?

Many thanks once more. I really appreciate it.

L

Thanks

If you don't tell them you have improved it they will not uncap you. Removing the wire from terminal 3 counts as 'improving'
      The negligible increase means the extension is not much of a problem.

It's Tier 1, they are the first line of defence you might say for the 'real' technicians who can make adjustments to you connection. They are now known as the Customer Support Team.

If your line is left capped, the NM will remain the same. If it is taken off it should reduce the NM to 7 or 8, giving you a speed increase.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for this.

Will remove 3 and then go back to Sky and ask to be uncapped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12